Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Thursday, August 25, 2005



Thursday Final Update

This has probably been the hardest evening in my life. I, daddy, went over to Rebekah's room about 5:00 and stayed until about 9:00. I was there through several medicine issues as well as dressing changes which are always horrible. I honestly do not know how mommy stands being there 24 hours a day (Rebekah will NOT let anyone else hold her). I feel really bad saying it but I could not wait to leave. I know mommy feels the same way but she just can't. It is very difficult.

For a while we thought Rebekah was doing better. Then she started down hill this afternoon. She is still not breathing well on her own. It is becoming increasingly clear that it is swelling in her throat, not just "gunk" causing the problem. We had some discussion with the surgeon about putting in a tracheotomy. Yet another tube coming out of yet another hole poked in this poor girls body. The interesting thing is that the surgeon was trying to introduce the idea very slowly and carefully so we didn't panic. Our reaction, however, was just the opposite. We were so afraid the only option to her closing throat was intubation which would commit her to intensive care for the life of the intubation. Compared to that tracheotomy sounds FANTASTIC. Amazing how your perspectives change.

As I said above I was there for a dressing changes. This was critcally timed to match with peak pain meds, sedation meds, etc. Well, anyone who has ever been around a hospital knows that NOTHING happens when it is supposed to. The change ended up being very traumatic. It is so hard to have to watch your little girl scream and yell and thrash in pain, taking two complete adults to hold her arms and legs down while a third ripps off bandages and scrubs very sore skin. It took Rebekah over 30 minutes to calm down after it was all done.

When I left she was restlessly trying to sleep in a worn-out, trauma induced slump - by "she" I mean mommy. Rebekah was pretty much out of it too.

13 Shared:

At Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Oh Scott and Frances, I am so sorry! I wish I could hold each of you- last night she seemed so peaceful- I thought she was on her way up- Oh Lord have mercy on this child and family! I know that He will provide all of us with what we need-but this is getting to be TOO much to take! Please everyone pray and trust in Our God's Will!
With tears of hurt and frustration,
Aunt TT

 
At Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Heather/SHTEZQ Left a thought...

Dad I am sorry you had to see and go through all of that try and rest we are all praying I put a post about your daughter on my blog so all my online and reg. friends and family can be praying for her.

 
At Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Lord, We just pray that Rebekah's swelling goes down and that she breathes freely and completely on her own! We trust in you, believe in you and know that you want the best for our Rebekah! Give her strength, comfort and peace! I pray this for mommy and daddy too!
Trusting In Him,
Aunt TT

 
At Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

You are so strong. I know how horrible it feels to watch your child in pain and know that you cannot do anything to help. It is such an overwhelming feeling. And I understand wanting to leave (even though you really want to be there too) because it is too much to bear witness to.
Please know that I am thinking of you and your family. We are all praying for you and for dear Rebekah to find strenght through this fight.
Much love,
Robyn and family.

 
At Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:34:00 PM, Blogger steve Left a thought...

PLease Father God heal this child. Clear her breathing God. I pray that you wrap your arms around Fancis and Scott Father. Let them know that you are with them in that hopital room. God you are doing so much to the lives around this child and we just ask you now to bring her healing and bring her rest.

In your Son's name we pray this. We pray this as it is already done.


Give Scott and Francis rest and comfort

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Queen on the run Left a thought...

Praying constantly.......

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 3:31:00 AM, Blogger Alison Left a thought...

I am sooo sorry! Continuing to pray here in Nova Scotia.....

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 6:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Dear God, please continue to hold Rebekah in Your loving arms. I pray Father that you heal her sores to ease her breathing and drive her pain away.

Heavenly Father, I pray you bring comfort and strength to Mommy and Daddy.

God bless all of you.

Many prayers from Cleveland.

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 7:29:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

Lord, You created this child, You knit her together with hands of love. We know that she is never out of the grasp of those loving hands. Please let Your hands take away the pain and hurt. Lord we ask for a miracle, we ask that You heal this sweet child. Bring comfort and peace to mom and dad, let them feel Your presence. Hear our cries oh Lord.

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 7:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I am so sorry - there are no words that adequately express the sorrow I feel at the pain you are all feeling. You are always in our thoughts and prayers,
Wyla

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 8:39:00 AM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

Dear Lord, I am reminded of the song that plays each and every time I log onto Rebekah's blog..."Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your Name in all the earth...Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your Name in all the earth...Oh Lord, we praise Your name - Oh Lord, we magnify Your name, Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Oh Lord God Almighty...."

As difficult as it may be at times, I pray that Scott and Frances and all of Rebekah's family are able to praise You in the midst of the storm. When we praise You, Father, You inhabit our praise. And when You inhabit our praise...along comes the peace that passes understanding, the strength that knows no end, the hope that rejoices in the soon-coming future, the comfort that envelopes us in Your arms, the unfailing, unfathomable, unmatched Love ---that keeps on loving --and keeps on giving ---and keeps on ministering to our spirits.

Father, I pray that You remain the Beacon in this storm --that Your presence will be ever present - even tangible - always - at all times. May Scott and Frances know beyond all knowing that You are in the midst of them. Send Your ministering angels to support them continually.

I pray today for Rebekah's health to improve. Open her airway so that she may breathe freely. Heal the burns. Remove her pain and replace it with laughter. Give her Your strength and peace - calm the storm within her - I speak against the infection and the disease and speak life and health into her. You say in Your Word that you sent Your Word and healed them....I send Your Word to Rebekah right now and say, "be healed, In Jesus' name."

I ask also that You continually prompt us to storm the gates of Heaven on Rebekah's behalf. For we know that Your Word also says that the effectual, FERVENT prayer of the righteous avails much.

You are working in this situation - of this, I am sure. Remind us all to trust You.

We all look forward to the good report --and all the glory will belong to You!

In Jesus' Name, I pray,
Amen.

....continually praying in Pennsylvania...
Deb, Randy and Olivia

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a thought...

Father, I know you can perform miracles. Sometimes we don't see them, but sometime we look around and your hand is everywhere we look. For Scott and Frances, I ask that you give them much-needed peace in a time that seems torn by agony. I ask that you heal Rebekah's sores and help her to breathe on her own, very soon. Please clear her breathing passage. Father, you are the rock and I ask that you help this family to cling to take rest in you, for your yoke is easy and your burdon is light.

 
At Friday, August 26, 2005 2:31:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Left a thought...

At work today, I wore one of the little rings we sell with kids' names on them. I got the one that said "Rebekah" and every time I handed change to a customer, I would say a quick prayer for all of you.

Father God, this is their hour of need. Give Rebekah and her family the peace which passes understanding, and joy and comfort and rest beyond all they can think or imagine. Lord in Jesus name I ask this, Amen.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...