Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Saturday, August 06, 2011



Leavenworth

No, not Kansas and we are not in trouble.

Yesterday we visited nearby Leavenworth, Washington. A quaint little tourist village that they have turned into a German town. I've heard about it before but have never visited there. I thought it would be nice for several reasons. One, mommy was born in Germany and two, daddy and mommy spent a lot of time together travelling there in college.

Mainly because of these last two reasons it was quite an emotional day for me. I posted on Facebook that "it finally hit me." Everywhere I turned around there was a reminder of mommy or something we did together. I couldn't walk 50 feet without crying over something. Some might say I was an emotion wreck but really I was just emotional. The hardest part was explaining to the girls why I was crying this time. If something made me tear up, explaining it to them in words made me bawl. They were pretty good about it though.

We walked through gift shop after gift shop and they behaved wonderfully. Sarah really loved the things we saw with our family crest on them but mostly they enjoyed the toys. Neither of them quite grasped the German feel of the place. For lunch we ate at a little restaurant that featured, you guessed it, German cuisine. We all shared a sausage, kraut and potato sampler platter and potato pancakes. Rebekah didn't like the spicy mustard on the sausages but did like the stone ground one. Sarah liked the potato salad and the one sausage that was "like a hot dog."

We found another little bakery that served pretzels. Every day when I would go from where I was staying to mommy's school I would stop by a sidewalk pretzel vendor. Asking for a pretzel with butter and cheese were some of the first "street words" that learned in German. The pretzels here weren't like what I remember in Germany, but they were good. We all shared one:



As I didn't want to completely confuse the girls as to which culture we were in we left the German village and did the American thing - we went shopping at Costco and Walmart. Not much but a few little odds and ends. Costco mostly because I was going through withdrawals.

I learned a couple of things today. Sarah did better learning more things today on her bike if I just let her go and didn't try and "instruct" all the time. She was more willing to try things if I wasn't leering over her. She is doing SO great and rode all of the 3/4 mile to the lodge last night. She kept looking over her should waiting for daddy and Rebekah to catch up. The other thing that I learned is that Rebekah's battery on her quad doesn't last as long as I might want when going at a constant drain - like the 3/4 mile to the lodge and back... For the first time ever I was able to ride my bike along side the kids without having to pull them in a trailer and that was pretty cool.

I expected some dirty looks from some campers as Rebekah's quad with its plastic tires can be pretty noisy on the gravel but instead got nothing but approval and a few comments about how cool it was. Rebekah even stopped to show her quad to some young kids that ran out to see it. I am surprised at how young the folks are in this campground. Most of the time you see big expensive motor homes and a lot of old people in these parks. This one has a lot of young folks and families in tents and small trailers.

Tomorrow we are going to visit some friends on Lake Chelan and actually get to take a boat to church. That sounds really fun and the girls are looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to some adult conversation!

Finally I will leave you with one of the things that made me cry the most yesterday. I saw it in the first shop we walked into and just had to go back and get it before we left. I don't know where it will go, but it will find a special place in our home:

3 Shared:

At Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Robyn Left a thought...

I think that's a perfect sign to put up in your home... I love it! It sounds like your family is seeing some really fun and beautiful places. Enjoy your time together!

Robyn

 
At Saturday, August 06, 2011 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Sue Z Left a thought...

What a beautiful sentiment! It certainly deserves a place in your home.

Also, I think it's wonderful that you're crying in front of the girls ... they will forever remember how you loved and mourned Frances and must feel comforted that you are expressing the very same feelings that they must have themselves.

Frances would be so proud of you!

 
At Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:40:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

I'm catching up on reading the last couple of posts...have been thinking of you all and praying for you as you enjoy your camping trip together. And I think it's extraordinary that the Lord encouraged your Daddy's heart through the sentiments of total strangers...you are so right - He knows exactly what we need. I believe Frances is watching from Heaven - and sees what a wonderful job you are doing with the girls. You're awesome, Scott....and with God's help, you're going to get through...one moment at a time...one day at a time... ...just follow that trail of footprints on your heart. Praying...always and still.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...