Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Friday, July 22, 2011



Rainbows

Tonight, for the first night but not the last, I had a little girl completely unable to go to sleep. She didn't leave her bed though, her sister did. Rebekah came out to me in the family room and in a kind, mothering voice that is common from Rebekah she said "Sarah not happy..."

I went and got Sarah and asked what was wrong. "I'm sad." she said. When asked about what she replied "About mommy leaving us." She asked if she could come sit on my lap. I told her that she sure could but we'd do it in mommy's room and she could talk with mommy about what she was said. "I don't want you to go." was all that we could make out through the tears.

After a short while we were able to talk to Sarah about heaven and about all the rainbow's that she thinks are in heaven. She was able to tell us about that special rainbow that mommy will be sitting under. She was able to tell us that rainbows are a gift from God and now they will be from mommy in heaven too. I asked her if we would go looking for rainbows and she told me "You don't look for rainbows daddy, they are just there." She explained to us the drawing that she made for mommy today with a rainbow made to look like a tent, holding the words "I Love You Mommy."

Tonight we were able to share the tears and hugs with mommy. In a few more nights that won't be possible. Even though it is only days away that is very hard to imagine. When I put her back to bed Sarah asked for her own box of kleenex in her bed; I gave it to her. I think I need to get one for me too.

11 Shared:

At Friday, July 22, 2011 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Sue Z Left a thought...

Thank you so much Frances and Scott for sharing so much of your lives with everyone. This post is so touching, my heart just aches for all of you. As a parent I know how this entire situation breaks your heart and your child's pain is so much worse than the pain that you feel yourselves. But you are both setting such a wonderful example for all those around you of the best possible way to handle an impossibly awful situation. Frances, you inspired me from the day I began reading your blog ... not long after Rebekah was diagnosed ... and you continue to inspire with your grace, wisdom and loving attitude. Scott ... you are an example for all men in how to act. You have lovingly and stubbornly refused to stop caring for your wife at home and together you are facing the end of her earthly life with courage. What a legacy you are leaving for your children Frances. While it is difficult for a child to lose a parent, this is definitely a best case scenario in that two loving parents have gone to great lengths to prepare their children in the best way possible for what is to occur in the near future. What you did tonight (taking the girls into mommy's room) was a perfect example. I wish you all the best!

 
At Friday, July 22, 2011 10:23:00 PM, Anonymous Teresa Mathia Left a thought...

Scott, what a wonderful daddy and husband you are.
I think I need my own box of kleenex as well. Love you guys!

 
At Friday, July 22, 2011 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Lisa Ball Left a thought...

I need a box too.

 
At Friday, July 22, 2011 10:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

So many tears. As terribly difficult as this is, I'm so proud of you and Frances and the job you are doing helping your girls prepare for their mother's death. Taking the time and effort to slowly prepare them and listening patiently to their hearts. Your children are so very blessed.

 
At Friday, July 22, 2011 11:04:00 PM, Blogger hicktownmom Left a thought...

As much as it pains me to say, I feel you are so blessed to have these days together aware that they will soon be over. So many of us try to remember to live like today is our last, but it is impossible - to set aside the daily garbage and do only the important things. I don't mean to sound insensitive...I just think it is an amazing gift to be able to love one another this way, so purely, so consciously, so purposefully. Because you know that you won't be able to in a few days.
Robyn

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Debbie Left a thought...

I've always loved rainbows. Now they will have even more meaning. Thank you, once again, for sharing.

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:09:00 AM, Blogger Trwaldo1 Left a thought...

You are all soooo brave! I will never look at a rainbow the same again! Love You!

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Jess Left a thought...

I just wanted to say that I am praying for your family. I've only posted a couple of times here, but I read often. I lost my Mom when I was 8 and it's something that I struggle with today a lot, especially when milestones in my life happen. My Mom was sick in the hospital for 6 weeks and the doctors told her that they thought that she'd never be able to get off of life support. She made the decision to turn life support off one day. She told me good-bye and that no matter what happened to her that she would always love me. A little while later, I came home from school and my Dad told me that they we had lost her. I think it's wonderful that you guys are trying to prepare each other for what is to come and I love that you have the blog to share things as well so that your girls can one day go back to read them. God bless you, Frances, as you prepare for your journey. Much peace and comfort to all of you. I am praying for all of you!

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:22:00 PM, Blogger Rebekah Christine Left a thought...

Thank you Jess. After what you have been through is there anything, other than more time, that you wished would have happened in the last couple of days? Anything that would make you feel better now? Anything that you know that our girls can benefit from now?

-Scott (daddy)

 
At Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:34:00 PM, Anonymous The Henderson Bunch Left a thought...

So very special. Your amazing grace in just wonderful. As I have said before, we are truly blessed to have known your family. We think of you daily.

Love and God Bless

The Henderson Bunch

 
At Monday, July 25, 2011 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Jess Left a thought...

I just wish that she was still here, that I could talk to her about things, ask for advice, here her talk to my children, things like that. I get angry about it once in awhile, but yet I know too that I will see her in Heaven one day. Milestones are hard. There's a lot of things since I was so young that I don't remember about her personality. I think it's wonderful that Frances has written so much out for them here that they can always have this to look back on. God bless your family. I don't know if that really answers your question. I'm praying for all of you as you all go through this. Frances, God bless you and I look forward to meeting you in Heaven one day.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...