Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, July 13, 2011



Telling the Girls

About a week after telling daddy and other family members, daddy and the girls came into mommy's room this last Sunday morning in order to share that mommy is dying with the girls for the first time. While there is lots to say about that morning, here are the words mommy "read" to the girls:

Rebekah and Sarah, mommy and daddy want to talk to you about some really big things. You have seen that mommy has lost her ability to do much of anything any more. Mommy has a disease called A L S. This disease has no cure which means that the doctors can't make it go away. The doctors can make some of the problems not be so bad. This is not a disease that you can get from me like a cold or cough. This is not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong to make this happen.

I love you both so much!

Mommy has been having more and more trouble with different things and I have been talking to God about it and how tired and hurting mommy is. He agrees with me that it is almost time for me to come to heaven with him and all the glory. This will mean that my body will die and i won't be here anymore. We have had a lot of good memories and you can treasure them in your heart. You can look up into the sky and talk to me and tell me about the things that are going on in your life.

Mommy is sad that she isn't able to stay here with you and daddy, but I will watch over you from heaven. It is okay to be sad for a little while but remember that mommy is in heaven without pain and able to walk again. Daddy and grandparents and aunts and uncles will be sad too. I want you to learn all that you can about Jesus and God and to love them and to want to follow their ways. Then someday a long time from now God will tell you that it is time for you to come to heaven and be with Jesus and me.

7 Shared:

At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:57:00 AM, Anonymous Aunt Annie Left a thought...

Frances - I don't know what to say except that you are very special to me and that I'm praying for you, Scott, the girls, your mom and Charlie & Molly as you go through these last days. Until we meet again on that beautiful shore.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:15:00 AM, Blogger hicktownmom Left a thought...

Thank you for sharing that intimate moment. It reminded me of what my mom told me right before she died. And yes, I still look up in the sky and see her watching over me. While she never met my husband or childen, she knows them. Rest assured that you will know your children's children as well.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Wendy Left a thought...

Frances, you don't know me personally, but we have alot in common your family and mine. We are connected first by your van, it was my husband Guys van, he had ALS. I have 1 daughter her name is Amanda she is 11. Guy was diagnosed with that terrible disease in Dec 2008, after retiring 1 1/2yrs earlier from Lakewood Fire Dept, so he could be a stay at home Dad. ALS, fire dept, daughters and the van, I know there was devine intervention.

The amount of love you have for Scott and your girls will go on forever, they will know it and feel it. At first it will be all they can do, just to get up and go through the motions of the day, but really as time passes, the missing you is still there every moment of their day, but the ability to move forward through the grief will get easier. No one has the right to tell them how to greave or to get over it,or move on,there is no moving on, they will never get over it, but it will be more managable and easier to move forward.

Amanda and I get so angry, not at Heavenly Father or with Guy, but with ALS, for what it did to Guy and our family. I tell Amanda that Heavenly Father didn't give her Daddy ALS, but he allowed him to go through it. There is a greater purpose, we don't know it or understand it, but when our time comes, it will all be made clear. It is our jobs, for those us left behind to live the way our Heavenly Father would like us to live so we will be reunited again forever.

From all I have read about you, I love you and your family. I pray every night that Guy will come and help you in your journey, you will know him by is great smile and loving countenance.

Even with all the words I have written, there really are no words, but please know that your family will be okay even with all of pain of loosing you.

Rest well my friend and know you and your family are never far from my thoughts and prayers. Praying for a cure so no more families have to endure what your family and mine has and are enduring.

Wendy Ploegman

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Once again.. THANK YOU Frances.. For sharing your journey, your love, your faith with us all.. Although I can't imagine all you are feeling, thinking, and processing.. I trust that the Lord is carrying you through all of it, as your grace and strength shines of His love..
Your journey with Rebekah, and ALS will remain with me always.
I know soon you will be in HIS glorious presence.. Walking, running, and Dancing at his feet.. That is the image I will hold on too...
Allie

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

We will be praying for your sweet family in the weeks to come. Your story was shared through a friend and I wanted you to know that your story and you sharing your faith is being used to inspire others to be bold in their faith. You are giving your girls a legacy of a mom and dad who lived their faith and through the good and the bad they looked to their God for comfort and direction. One of my favorite verse is psalms 73:26 my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength Of my heart and my portion forever. May you and your family be surrounded by the peace and comfort that only God can provide.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Thank you so much for all the sharing of your thoughts and emotions. To be willing to share your private life has been a blessing.
It may sound crazy Frances, but there is a part of me. that for a moment, is envious that you will be enjoying the presence of Jesus and heaven and be pain free soon. But the reality of your life as it has been here, clears my thinking and I grieve at your suffering, your families suffering and I do the all too typical "why God?". I know I am not alone thinking this way, and I dismiss it by giving it to Him. I believe we will all understand and have our questions answered over there. I will just have to wait my turn when I get there. I will say goodbye to you as I have known you.
To your spirit/soul person I say-
see ya later girlfriend!
Love,
Teresa Mathia

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I have followed your family's story for many years and have never posted. I am so deeply sorry and admire what a strong person you are. Peace be with you.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...