Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Monday, August 29, 2005



The Week Has Begun

Up at 5 something and packed Rebekah into the stroller to go across campus for radiation treatment. Rebekah was very insistent that she did NOT want to leave the room this morning. We don't think that it was to go to radiation specifically, just that she wanted to stay in bed and go "night night".

Once in the radiation building she did not fight things and was ok with the anesthesiologist picking her up. Radiation went fairly well and we talked with the radiation doctor about potentially stopping radiation after this week. Maybe some more detailed discussion on this later but the condensed version is that she will have the a certain level of accumulated radiation that they think might maybe possibly be enough. We are going to have some serious decision making to do here this week.

Rebekah did not come out of anesthesia smoothly and she is still on oxygen to help keep her saturation levels up. We have not started chemo yet this morning. Not exactly sure whether this is related to her saturation levels or what as we have not seen the oncologist yet. Assuming all else stays well the earlier we get it started the earlier we can go home.

On a side note, we REALLY want to thank you all for your prayers, support and words of encouragement. Even, or especially (not sure which is appropriate) the larger numbers of hit counts on the web site are a big encouragement. Have even had some personal messages and IM chats with some of our new friends. PLEASE don't let it stop. The thought of the momentum slowing down is kind of scarry to us.

24 Shared:

At Monday, August 29, 2005 9:12:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

Please know that you have a family of people who, though we may never have met and may never have the pleasure of doing so, are committed to you and Rebekah. Prayers are constant and continual.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 9:24:00 AM, Blogger amelia Left a thought...

I agree with Katie. We are family - all part of the body of Christ and when one hurts, we all hurt. When you rejoice, we rejoice. Thank you for allowing us to come alongside you in this journey.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 9:26:00 AM, Blogger CaS Left a thought...

Your family are in my prayers daily

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Pilot Mom Left a thought...

So glad you are seeing small victories each day! May you keep your eyes on Him alone and may He be glorified through this journey He is taking you through! Joyfully...

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Praying in Seattle...

Thank you for the updates! I've missed out on an entire weekend of posts and what a wonderful moment to come back to! Seeing the video clip and the picture of her playing with her toys has just made my day. Gog is SO good! Of course we're all here for the long haul! I'm devoted to vigilant prayer until I see curls again!!! God bless you!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

....His eye is on the sparrow...and I know He watches me...

That song has been going through my head this morning as I sit by my window and watch the birds feed at our feeder. I am reminded that our Lord cares for every living creature...that He sees when a sparrow falls from the sky...how much MORE does He care for us?

Rebekah is loved and cared for by God with a Love that we are not even able to comprehend!

...praying that He continues to reveal that Love to you today!
...and praying for healing...always!
Deb, Randy and Olivia

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:18:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht Left a thought...

I'm not going to stop harrassing you with my comments and tugging on the Father's sleeves with my prayers. I'm here for the long haul. I want to know her kindergarten teachers name, and I want to see what color her graduation gown will be. I want to know if her beautiful thick hair will be worn up or left to cascade down her back. I want to be around to see that her husband treats her as well as her Daddy and to hear that their children love to eat cookies at Grandma's on Sundays.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie Left a thought...

I too am continually keeping this precious little girl in my prayers. Thank you for posting the updates and letting us know her progress. God bless you all!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:51:00 AM, Blogger steve Left a thought...

Yeah, I guess I will stick around.

Scott you know I wont LET the prayers drop off.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 11:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Praying little Rebekah has a smooth Chemo session, and the little steps forward continue! Not to worry, we are here, and we are IN, all the way! Soon, you'll wish you can get rid of us! :)
Allie

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H Left a thought...

I'm with Darlene.

For me, the most amazing part of blogging has been the community of Christophiles I've found in "our little corner of the blogosphere."

And don't worry about hit numbers on the blog--as long as Dar and I are still capable of falling on our keyboards, you're numbers should do just fine!!!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 11:44:00 AM, Blogger Heather Left a thought...

Thinking of you and your constantly. So glad you've been able to have a few moments of joy mixed in.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 11:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Always praying for your little one. No word yet from Wa Co. ~Caron

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 12:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

It's a blessing to hear things are going a little better. It was wonderful to see Rebekah leave the hospital for a while.

God bless you all.

Continued prayers from the Stricklen family in Cleveland.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Pam Left a thought...

Uh, daddy and mommy...hate to be the one to break this to you but aint gonna get rid of us that easily!!!! We are here and we aren't leaving. That is what "famly" means...through thick and thin and beyond! (using my best Toy Story voice) Honest, I check several times each day to see if there have been any updates, and when I find one...I relish each word. Thank YOU for allowing us to be a part of your daughters journey.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Alison Left a thought...

The prayers and visits will never end here.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Chris Left a thought...

I prayed @ 3:30 pm est.
"And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord."
Yes Lord.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 12:51:00 PM, Blogger Eddo Left a thought...

We don't always know the reason for something, but in Christ we know that nothing is in vain.

What a blessing to know that little Rebekah is in Gods care and he is using her mightily as he brings a community of believers together in prayer.

Hugs from Texas.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 1:22:00 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a thought...

We are united by God and connected, here, through your daughter. I will not stop my constant pleas for prayer on your behalf and I've already enlisted as a prayer warrior. I'm not going anywhere. Thank you for taking me along on this journey. I have learned so much and have grown by leaps and bounds in my prayer life.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 1:46:00 PM, Blogger The other me Left a thought...

Rebekah is in my mind and my heart constantly, she is in my thought when I look at my children and when I would otherwise be impatient I remember how much you would love to see Rebekah make a mess,run in the opposite direction when you are trying to get somewhere, spill juice, empty the fridge 30 times a day...and my mouth is stopped and I give thanks for my children and pray again for yours. We are all waiting and praying and longing to read about Rebekah doing all these 3 year old things. God bless. Helen.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 2:01:00 PM, Blogger Ileana Left a thought...

Although I lost power due to Hurricane Katrina, I didn't lose the power to pray. I'm back online and keeping my thoughts and prayers with Rebekah. I love the new look of the web site. I'm praying for you, the parents, to have continued strength, comfort and hope. And of course, LOVE. Please know that we care for all of you.

I will not stop praying for Rebekah!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 2:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Thanks Eva for trying to "Downplay" the number of comments. Our "hit count" that we look at actually takes that into account.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 7:30:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Left a thought...

Our whole church said prayers for Rebekah and your family yesterday and will contiue on. We are committed to you all.

Praise God for He is AWESOME!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 9:02:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht Left a thought...

Jeff's right, if I didn't have him and Nettie pounding the pavement of my blog everyday, I may not have kept it up sometime. You will always have those that come and go, but most of us are here for the long haul.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...