Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Monday, October 31, 2011



Surgery.

Well, it has been a long day. Honestly it's been a long weekend since I first started having concerns Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure I really have slept much and the emotions have torn into me.

The good news is that Rebekah needs some pretty major oral surgery. Yes, you heard me right, that is the good news. There is something wrong in our family's lives that we often find ourselves hoping for something that would be a major disaster to some others. Praying for an infection, praying for MS, etc. Obviously this is the good news because it means that the swelling we are seeing is probably not cancer. There are no guarantees, but according to the dentist the oral problems could account for the danger signs we have been seeing.

Basically all of Rebekah's adult teeth are there, still up in the gums, but have been destroyed by the radiation. As they start to move, if they start to move, they are not in line and generally not well. Rebekah had an adult molar pop through on the left side. It had no enamel on it and a large hole down the center. A large hole into her body. A large hole that carried infection into that area. We don't know why her body showed no other sign of infection (fevers, rashes, redness in the area etc.)

So yes, this molar needs to come out. She is on some pretty heavy antibiotics and we will have surgery in two weeks. Surgery is a full on hospital anesthesia. The dentist, the orthodontist, the oral surgeon, the pediatricians and the oncologists all have to consult on this with it being likely the first three will be doing the surgery. At this point the surgery is set but exactly what will be done beyond removing the offending molar is not known. Lots of smart people have to come up with a treatment plan to artificially replace what we have destroyed.

And then there is the possibility (likelihood?) that Rebekah's jaw itself won't take the work necessary to get the tooth out and will fracture - but that is for another post.

For now I am beat; emotionally and physically beat. Good night.

5 Shared:

At Monday, October 31, 2011 9:27:00 PM, Blogger Debbie Dunham Left a thought...

Let yourself relax a little and sleep well tonight, Scott.

 
At Monday, October 31, 2011 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Left a thought...

I have been hoping and praying it was just a dental issue! And I am glad you have smart people on it. There are amazing things they can do with dental/teeth stuff now!

 
At Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:12:00 PM, Blogger Sue Z Left a thought...

Strange as it is for this to be an answer to prayers ... it is definitely a best case scenario. Rest up and do something relaxing!!

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:05:00 PM, Anonymous April Left a thought...

I hope Rebekah is doing better and I would also like to say how sorry I am to hear of Frances's passing. I just found out and though I didn't get to know your family well, I often thought about her and wondered how you all were doing. Sounds like it has been a tough few months and my thoughts and prayers go out to you all. I enjoyed meeting you all the few times I came out to help with bathing. Best wishes to you and your girls.

 
At Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:52:00 PM, Blogger jason Left a thought...

Scott, I just saw a link to you on my Facebook page. I don't know you well enough to ask you to listen to my ranting over there, but I *do* care enough about you to stalk you a little bit.

Your trials of the last several years are harrowing. My heart goes out to you and your wonderful family, and I want you to know that even former clients care about you.

Best regards...

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...