Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Monday, October 31, 2011



Rebekah Scare Update

I wish that I had wonderful news to update you with, but I don't. But I also don't have too bad of news, at least not as bad as it could get.

I debated this morning as to whether to just show up on the door of the pediatrician's office and wait to be fit in, or to call them when they opened and see what they said. As they opened only 15 minutes after Sarah left on the bus, I decided to wait and used that time to get packed up and ready to go for a couple of days if necessary. I had long forgotten what it is like to walk out the door with your kiddo not know when (or if...) you would be coming home.

I couldn't make an early appointment with our normal pediatrician, but did get one with someone else in his office. Actually I have to look at this as GOD got us that particular appointment. When this doctor, that I have never met, walked in the first thing she said was "I understand. I had a little boy in the hospital the same time Rebekah was..." She looked Rebekah over pretty thoroughly and said "we need to get you in as soon as possible so you don't have to live with this limbo." If you haven't been through this you can't have any idea how special (and rare) it is to have a doc that understands this and is willing to help.

She also suggested that there is a chance (did she say "good chance" or am I just hoping she said that???) that this is a dental related infection and she asked for the name of both our dentist and our oncologist. Rather than sending us on our way and getting back to us she told us to wait while she contacted them. She tried hard to set up a dental exam this morning but the dental staff being out of the office this morning made it impossible. But we are set up for 3 this afternoon. Doc also said that if this isn't obvious she will have oncology ready to see us and get set up quickly, adding that she would do everything in her control to help that happen.

On top of this great patient advocate, our normal pediatrician, hearing Rebekah was in the office, also came in and saw her and the two docs started working together on this. Will I get charged twice? I DON'T CARE!

I am hopeful though not comfortable that Rebekah has a dental related infection as that I can emotionally deal with. But if its more than that, at least I am comfortable that we are starting with a great, understanding medical team behind us at the pediatrician.

As hard as it is for me to say this, please pray.
She asked If you haven't been through

5 Shared:

At Monday, October 31, 2011 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Debbie Dunham Left a thought...

Thanks for the update, Scott. I've been watching for it all morning. Will be praying that the dentist has some good news this afternoon.

 
At Monday, October 31, 2011 2:10:00 PM, Blogger Sue Z Left a thought...

I will continue to pray. I've had some nasty dental infections that have made my face swell up. I'm prone to them as my immune system is altered due to medication for an autoimmune disease. This includes prednisone and chemo. Maybe the same could be true for Rebecka? These medications can affect our health and immune systems for a long time ... if not forever. But given the alternative, I'll take it!! I really hope that this is a side effect of medication related damage because that would be the lesser of two evils. Big hugs to Rebekah!!

 
At Monday, October 31, 2011 3:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I too have been praying today that you would get in to see the doc and get the ball rolling for Rebekah. Thank you Lord for making this doc available to see them today. Will be waiting to hear the report from the dentist. Also praying about the out of the blue phone call you received last week. God give this family direction.

 
At Monday, October 31, 2011 6:13:00 PM, Anonymous Marie in Michigan Left a thought...

Continued prayer for Rebekah and guidance for you Scott. Maybe you get the answers and the doors opened quickly for what ever you may need. Sounds like you have a good start.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:29:00 AM, Blogger Shelli Davis-Wilson Left a thought...

Continuing to pray for both of you!!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...