Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, August 31, 2005



Don't know what to say...

So many of you have commented about how Rebekah’s blog has caused you to look harder at your own life and to realize what things are important and what are not.  Some have said that they feel bad for worrying about the petty things in their life.  Well, that is how we feel right now.  We feel bad for worrying about Rebekah’s petty breathing problems, her petty Pneumonia and her petty cancer.  Our prayers are with you Maggie.  

Rebekah has changed little today – which is a good thing.  Her breathing is improving a bit and they have taken her off one of the antibiotics.  Mommy says she seems like she is feeling a bit better even though she has slept most of the day.  

Last night during movie night we got some candy that is still left – some sour gummy things.  When daddy came in Rebekah was playing with them and wanted daddy to eat one.  She then actually tried to eat one herself.  This is the first time she has tried to eat anything in over a week.  As soon as the sugar was off it came out REAL fast.  If that is her only memory of food it might be a while before she tries to eat again.

And to add more, Grandma called and Rebekah wanted to speak with her.  She actually had a good conversation and then talked with Sarah.  I could hear Sarah babbling in the background and Rebekah say “Chi Chi Chi Chi”.   Their sisterly love IS extremely powerful.  

We still don’t know any more about going home but at least it “appears” that we have stopped the down hill slide and maybe turned around a bit.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO SHARE!  We feel bad about complaining about anything but the hit counts are way down (although up from a few weeks ago) and that seems a bit depressing.

27 Shared:

At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:08:00 PM, Blogger Amanda Left a thought...

we are still reading and praying! sometimes i feel repetative, which is why i don't always say that i am praying for your family, but i guess it helps to hear it.

rebekah is absolutely adorable, as is sweet sarah. i am amazed at the strength God has given you - thank you for your faithfulness in continuing to share. i look forward to good news on Rebekah's site every day! :)

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:12:00 PM, Blogger Nettie Left a thought...

It still makes me feel petty, but I try to pray whenever I remmeber y'all and what you're going through- guess that's the benefit.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Unknown Left a thought...

God bless you. I just logged on for the first time today and it breaks my heart to see such a precious child going through so much. We must remember God never gives us more than we can handle. If He has allowed this, then He has also prepared all of you for this. "Never will I leave you, Never will I forsake you." (Deut.4:24) says our great and loving Father. Please be encouraged, sister and brother, as so many are praying for you and God's mercy is great!

As for me, I will be following your blog and will continue to pray for healing and strength for your family. May God bless and hold you!
-Heather
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
He resores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows,
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Daddy....I have not heard any complaining, only concern...you're doing good daddy and mommy...praying for you in Coos County

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:54:00 PM, Blogger Di Left a thought...

I have been reading, just don't always comment. My thoughts and prayers continue. I check back often so I can see how she is doing.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:06:00 PM, Blogger Queen on the run Left a thought...

I got my bracelet today!!!!! I had ten people ask me about it already and I have only had it on for about two hours!!!!!
The top of the post is a bit confusing to me. What do you mean pettie phnemonia and breathing problems. ????? I am failing to understand.
God bless Rebekah and her mommy and daddy and chi chi!!

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Jojo Left a thought...

Hello!
Just wanted to drop a note to tell you I visit your blog several times a day to get the updates.

As I told you before, my daughter was severely brain damaged at birth because of a breech birth. We have spent so much time in hospitals and so I really feel I can relate to what you are going thru. It is because of all we've gone thru that I have a strong faith.

My heart aches for you. I know what it's like to watch your child suffer and to have so many questions and not know the answers.

May all the prayers going up for you all, bring you much strength and encouragement. We are thinking about you constantly, even when we don't post.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:14:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H Left a thought...

Don't worry about the hits: God will take care and make sure word gets out according to his plan. If the faithful remain so, miracles can--and I'm convinced will--happen.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Reading the updates daily and continuing to pray. We received our bracelets today too. We're all wearing them and sharing Rebekah's story with family and friends.

Many prayers from Cleveland.

The Stricklen Family.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

We check in on you many times a day and often pray. Just don't comment every time so as not to clutter your site. Sometimes there are no words, only tears and prayers. We care very much about you. Love, The Mathia family

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:06:00 PM, Blogger Valerie Left a thought...

I check on your site frequently throughout the day, but I don't always leave a comment - however, I am always praying for you and thinking about you! Thank you for sharing about Maggie, too. And, I loved the picture of Sarah and Rebekah when they were together last Saturday. My two daughters are very, very close, too. Much love and many prayers from Ohio.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Still here, still praying..
I agree with "Thequeen".. Petty?? Oh no.. Your concerns are surely not petty.. we are along every step of the way.. Your concerns are our concerns.. Our Prayers go out to sweet Maggie May as well, thank you for directing us to her as well!
In Christ,
Allie

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Your friends at Five Star Electric and Builders continue to keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. May God grant you peace and calm amidst the chaotic turn your daughter's precious life has taken. The Lord holds you all in the palm of His hands.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:43:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht Left a thought...

The hit counts might be down, but I bet the prayers are way up. So many people know about her now.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:25:00 PM, Blogger jomo Left a thought...

Don't let the hit counts fool you. Many are praying but like the one person said, "sometimes we feel repetitive" which we shouldn't. Please be aware that all of us are continually in prayer for your family. Even if we weren't, there's a Savior who stands with you in the dark hours and the bright light. He is that light. Count on him!

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:07:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

PRAYER CHALLENGE....EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS!!

Many of you, I'm sure, have watched telethons and seen fund raisers where someone puts out a "matching challenge"..."If you give x amount of money, I will match it..." Well, I have recently picked up a book which has been on our bookshelf for a number of months, entitled: Give Me 40 Days by Freeda Bowers. (I HIGHLY recommend this book to all Christians!!)

The number '40' in the Bible is very significant:

Noah, his family and the animals on the ark - 40 days of rain - Genesis 7

Moses on Mt. Sinai receiving the law - 40 days - Exodus 24

The spies of Israel spying out the Promised Land - 40 days - Numbers 13

God strengthening Elijah 40 days from one meal - I Kings 19

Jonah preaching repentance to Ninevah - 40 days - Jonah 3

Jesus being tempted by satan 40 days in the wilderness - Matthew 4

Jesus being seen by His disciples 40 days between his resurrection and ascension - Acts 1

The number 40 in the Bible means Divine Order being applied to all earthly things and flesh.

Our challenge is this: We are committing to pray for Rebekah for at LEAST 40 minutes, EVERY DAY for the NEXT 40 DAYS. We are challenging each of you to do the same. That means, 40 minutes of getting alone with God and praying for Rebekah and her needs - every day. Let's all pray for DIVINE ORDER to permeate Rebekah's body!

As that cliche goes...PRAYER CHANGES THINGS!

If you're willing to accept this challenge, please post a note to encourage Scott and Frances. I know that MANY of you spend time throughout the day praying...but how many will commit to 40 minutes of consistent, uninterrupted prayer?

We also challenge you to keep a prayer journal as you pray --writing down what the Lord directs you to pray about --and then recording the progress - or answers to your prayers.

If you accept this challenge, we guarantee you that the benefits will be life-changing! Not only for Rebekah, but for you as well!

God bless you all!
...praying for 40 in Pennsylvania...
Deb, Randy and Olivia

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Heather/SHTEZQ Left a thought...

I have to confess i literally check your blog about every 2 hours.Sometimes it is hard to read the things in it because of bad memories but it also make remember my faith and to pray every day sometimes every couple of hours. I know god is listening to us all. We can tell he is helping the two of you because it comes through in your writing.
we are still praying and caring.
I wish I lived by you I would love to help in more then just leaving comments on this blog.
take care try and rest mom and dad.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

P.S. SCOTT and FRANCES...why not "cut and paste" and post our previous comment as a regular blog update so that everyone will be sure to read it! Tell them we said so!! :)

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

....one more thing...just minutes after posting our 'PRAYER CHALLENGE' comment, this verse appeared in an email message....Divine confirmation, or what?!

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
--Matthew 18:19-20

Praying for 40...
Deb, Randy and Olivia

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:15:00 PM, Blogger The other me Left a thought...

I have to say that I am struck every day by how UNcomplaining you are! I am so glad that Rebekah felt better today but sour gummies UGH! My mouth and face went all screwed up at the thought of them. There is nothing sweeter than the bond between siblings....I have 6 children aged from 20 to 2 and to watch the love they have beween them is like balm to my weary soul! May there be many many more happy sour gummy moments for you and Rebekah..not forgetting Chi-chi. Helen.

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 3:41:00 AM, Blogger Alison Left a thought...

Scott and Frances...the prayers never stop. I just wish I lived close enough to do more....

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:47:00 AM, Blogger Ileana Left a thought...

I will continue to pray and visit your blog waiting for the day Rebekah makes her own posts! Praying for Maggie as well!

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:39:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

We're still here, we're still faithful, and we are ALWAYS praying. Rebekah is my first thought when people ask me for a prayer request so please know that there are many out their praying.

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Praying in Seattle...

Petty? I've never once seen anything petty in your writings. I've seen pain and frustration and absolute adoration for your family. Vent! Yell! UGH! all you like...we are not going away! I check your site three times a day at least to see how Rebekah is doing, but she and your family are always on my mind. God has brought each of us to you to support and lift you up!

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

You are always in my prayers. I check the blog several times a day. I have added you all to the prayers of my church and everyone I know.

 
At Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:37:00 AM, Blogger steve Left a thought...

Love and Prayers. I lead worship ALL weekend... Friday and 3 on Sunday.... close to a 1000 will pray for our Angel

 
At Friday, September 02, 2005 4:54:00 AM, Blogger Jenny Left a thought...

God bless you all. Even if I was away for a few days, my prayers are with you 100% of the time.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...