Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Wednesday Update

Not exactly sure what to write here. Although a lot has happened we are still in much the same situation as we have been. Mommy is resting on and off, much of the time with the help of drugs. She is in a fair amount of pain most of the time but a combination of pain killers helps to keep the pain tolerable as long as we are not moving her too much.

She has been having a lot of mucous in her lungs and has required the doc going into her lungs with a camera and suction tube to find the little mucous spots and suck them out. Once we do that her breathing is pretty good until they build up again. As time goes on the time between these "cleanings" is getting more and more. Right now she is still on a fair amount of oxygen supplementing her ventilator. We would like her to be off oxygen all together and just on "room air." Today she was weened down from 45% oxygen to 25%. At 25% she is just barely holding on where she needs to be right now.

Through the help of a lot of wonderful people (and a bit of encouragement from daddy) it sounds like mommy's own ventilator will be here tomorrow. Once she gets transferred over to that we accomplished one more hurdle on going home. There are going to be lots more, mostly relating to her ability to keep her lungs clean and to a slightly lesser extent our ability to prove to the doctors that we can take care of her in her condition once she goes home. But at least we are knocking out the things that ARE in our control. We could be looking at 4-5 days more (at a minimum) to a week to 10 days or more.

It's very hard for daddy to split his time between the girls at home/going to school and his number 1 girl here in the hospital. Luckily Uncle Chuck is coming to the hospital tonight so that daddy can get home to at least help the girls get off to the bus one more time this week.

A HUGE thank you to those of you that have sent financial contributions. There are no words that we can say that can truly express how wonderful that makes us feel and what a burden that helps to relieve. No words except "Thank You." They seem so small but come with so much emotion.

PS - Hospital food ain't so grand after a while :)

2 Shared:

At Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:43:00 PM, Blogger Kim Meyer Cameron Left a thought...

Thanks for the update. Praying for Frances' comfort and that you will both feel our Lord's love and presence surrounding you. I'll be Frances' voice tonight at church and sing extra loud, for I will be singing for her and me.

At Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous kelly Left a thought...

Friend what a nice information provide from you, I like your post so much, Poor home ventilation can accumulate contaminants which can threaten your health, such as formaldehyde.
Air Ventilation


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...