Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, January 11, 2006



Cranky Girls

It has been a day of cranky girls. Sarah continues to break in her molars and Tylenol and Teething Tablets aren't always enough. She wants Mommy's attention all day long.

Rebekah is not feeling well. She is having trouble with Constipation and in a lot of pain when she does have a bowel movement. I gave her a dose of Colace (stool softener) on Monday and then another one today. Yesterday she seemed to be doing ok (at least she wasn't hurting when she passed a stool). I hate to give her too much stool softener and then have severe diarrhea issues, but at the same time I don't want constipation. It is a double edged sword.

I want to help with pain, but Tylenol can mask a fever and Morphine can cause constipation. So I have to be careful with both. She can have them, but they are not without side effects. Uugh!

In addition, she is sneezing quite a bit and in a lot of pain with that. I'm keeping her up on benadryl, but she starts the sneezing fits before time for the next dose. I can't keep her comfortable and that is pretty tough.

She is not tolerating her food real well and so it is mostly running while she is sleeping. So much for "normal" eating cycle. Today, she hasn't even tolerated it while she's sleeping, so she hasn't gotten much nutrition in today. I won't freak out about one day, but I hope it doesn't go on for too many.

We will go back into clinic tomorrow for blood counts and check up. I opted not to give Rebekah a shot tonight with the hope that her counts are on their way up (with the doctor's approval). We will give it tomorrow, if her counts indicate that she should have had it.

Daddy seems to be getting sick again. That is not good!

Rebekah is getting more and more verbal. Here is one example. This last week, when she has complained of owies and I asked if she wanted owie medicine she has started telling me "blue". The only medicine that she has that is blue is the morphine. She has objected when I brought her anything else. So now, she is asking specifically for morphine. Oh joy!

4 Shared:

At Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:52:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht Left a thought...

I'm feeling sorry for that poor little bum of hers. And hope she gets relief soon--both of them.

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:34:00 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie Left a thought...

Still praying for her and the family!

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Valerie Left a thought...

I'm still praying here in Ohio. It sounds like it's a delicate balancing act with the meds. I remember so well what that was like, and it's not fun. God bless all of you!

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Rebekah girl~ hey sweetpea! I hope you are feeling better...I was shopping the other day and saw a huge Dora doll that was almost as big as me (not that that's saying much! :) ), anyways, it made me think of you! :) I'll see you soon, but until then, take care!
hugs and prayers, Nurse Heather

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...