Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Friday, December 16, 2011



The Power In Choosing A Name

In Genesis God gave Adam the power to name the creatures of the earth as they were created. The act of naming something creates a huge tie to that something. There was (and is) great significance to that power, a significance we don't think about that often.

For those of you that don't know me that well I will share something about me. I have a thing for crock pots. I have more than a few of them. I like what they stand for and I love what they do. They are SO practical. As the "potluck season" continues on I use my crock pots A LOT.

Earlier this week our Bible Study had a pot luck dinner in lieu of our regular Wednesday night study. As I brought out one of my favorite crock pots I noticed it had a label, a name if you will. The label on it read "Scott and Frances Adams". As we were going to Tia's chuch and almost no one there knows Frances (or me by that combination of names) it didn't seem right to leave that label on it. I took that label off and left the crock pot unnamed. Much like how my life felt after Frances left, without a label that crock pot seemed empty, lonely.

This morning as I am preparing for another potluck it continued to bother me to have an unnamed crock pot. I started a couple of labels: "Scott Adams" or "Scott, Rebekah and Sarah" but those didn't seem right either. Ultimately I found a comfort, a power in the final result:


The power of naming this crock pot is not in my dominion over the item, but rather in the realization of its representation of the stages in our life. There is greif in the daily realizations that 20+ years of "Scott and Frances Adams" have come to an end. But there is also great delight in the new season called "Scott Adams and Tia Bacon." There is great delight in the gift God has given me in Tia and the girls. Seeing it on a label may be a little thing, but it is real. And it is real powerful to my heart.

3 Shared:

At Friday, December 16, 2011 8:24:00 AM, Blogger Tia Bacon Left a thought...

I love the new label. One simple question though, when will "Adams" be good enough to cover us all?
I love you so much!

 
At Friday, December 16, 2011 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Stephanie Roscoe-AFN Ministries Left a thought...

Scott, I am so very happy and excited for you and this new season. Loving the new label!!

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:17:00 AM, Anonymous Teresa Mathia Left a thought...

I absolutely love this Scott!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...