Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Post Scans - Nothing New - Yet

This is the frustrating period. Scans have been done and now we are waiting on results. In fact it is even more frustrating because we have the scans in our hot little hands - we have learned not to leave any scan facility that is different than our "home" hospital without them in hand! They are on disc and we looked at them on the computer but it really is a foreign language that means nothing to us.

Yesterday, scan day, was somewhat interesting. Just as we were about to leave (literally walking out the door) we got a phone call from the hospital saying that they don't have the radioactive juice that has to be in Rebekah's body. It turns out the facility that provides it had a power outage and could not supply it. They ended up having to get a courier to deliver it from Seattle 3-4 hours away. Needless to say things started running late.

We did finally get to the hospital about 1 1/2 later than we were originally supposed to and things were still running slow. We had a really really awesome nurse named Rebecca. She was very cognizant that we knew what was going on with our Rebekah and was very willing to adapt the way they "normally did things" to a way that worked best for Rebekah. When we complimented her on it later she said "parent's know best and I listen to them right up until they prove to me that they don't know best..." Smart gal. We bet she ends up working for another hospital in town soon - and we hope it is ours!

The anesthesiologist came in and talked with us for a while. He asked Rebekah to open her mouth and when she would not/could not totally he decided he really wanted to intubate her. Now she has had close to 70 general anesthetics and NEVER needed intubated before (or at least never got it even though she did need it once or twice). This doc was being overly cautious and deciding that he did not want to have to try and intubate her IF something bad happend as a result of the anesthetic as he would not be in his own environment but rather in the radiology lab - he just didn't feel comfortable with it. As we were very much putting our daughter's life in his hands there was absolutely no argument from us - she was HIS patient and he needed to be comfortable.

After some "discussion" he did agree to let daddy go into the operating room with him and be there while Rebekah was put out and the intubation performed. Daddy had explained that this little girl ALWAYS had mommy or daddy hold her while she went to sleep and we ALWAYS were there when she woke up. It took some work, some checking with powers-that-be and some explaining to him that was OUR rules but it happened. Daddy was put in scrubbs including the hair net and booties and off daddy and Rebekah went to the operating room.

The scan itself took about an hour and she came out of the anesthesia about an hour after that. We finally got home about 6pm. Rebekah was mostly out of it until just about home and then she woke up, startled, and started asking to eat. She ate lots of "Kicks" cereal both on the way home and after we got home. After about an hour or so at home she seemed pretty much back to normal.

We don't know for sure when we will get results. The tumor board meets next Tuesday so it is possible it will not be until after that. More waiting. More resting in the Lord. Thank you all for your prayers and upkeep - you are again awesome in our times of need.

8 Shared:

At Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I have been checkign back off and on all day long. Thank you for letting us know what is happening. I am still praying for all of you.
In Christ,
Sarah from Missouri

At Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:34:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

I think it's awesome that you "insist" on things where Rebekah is concerned. So many patients and patient's families don't think they have any rights when it comes to hospital care. Being there to hold Rebekah as she is anesthetized is not a big deal to the hospital staff and is easily accommodated. Bravo to you for insisting!

....still praying and believing for good news!

At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:25:00 AM, Blogger Alison Left a thought...


At Friday, August 18, 2006 3:26:00 AM, Blogger jel Left a thought...

that's what family is for to hold each other up in the good times and the bad times!

still praying !

God bless
and ((((Huggs))))

At Friday, August 18, 2006 8:11:00 AM, Blogger Mike & Mari Left a thought...

Been here waiting and watching for news. We are still praying for a good outcome from all the tests. I keep thinking that God has brought Rebekah through so much, that He will give us good results this time too, that is my prayer.

At Friday, August 18, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

still praying

At Friday, August 18, 2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger JodiTucker Left a thought...

still praying, too

At Monday, August 28, 2006 9:56:00 AM, Anonymous Rebekah Wegley Left a thought...

I was searching the web with my friend and we typed in our names on google. When I typed in mine i was suprised at how many came up! This one jumped out to me so I clicked on it and started reading I had only read a few paragraghs before I found myself praying. Your daughter is truly an amazing child. I probaly sound like I'm older than 15 but to tell you the truth I'm really only 14. Everybody is always telling me that I spell my name very wierd but really I just spell it gracefully. well bye!


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...