Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Saturday, January 21, 2006



Typical Day

Yesterday was another typical day for us. Nothing really that exciting. We are continuing to prepare for our hospital stay, so it was a day of cleaning, laundry, dishes, packing, etc...

The girls played pretty well together. Rebekah continued to eat some bites. If Sarah was eating, she wanted something too. She might or might not eat any of it, but she wanted her own.

Sarah took a very late nap, so she got to stay up a bit later than normal and Rebekah wasn't too happy with having to go to bed right after Sarah. Although she did a good job. Once she was tucked into bed, she was pretty much asleep until this morning. That was a nice change of pace.

After the girls were down, we put on a movie and I promptly fell asleep. By the time I woke up, it was just about time for bed. I went to try and do a quick update but blogger seemed to be having problems, so I gave up and went to bed.

Both girls were awake at 7:30 and needing diaper changes (and Rebekah needed new jammies and new bedding), so I took care of the changes and put them both back to sleep. Well, I tried anyway. Neither of them really cooperated, so after a little while we all got up.

Grandma M is coming a little later today, so we can continue to get ready to go. I know the girls will enjoy having her here and I will be able to get a lot done.

4 Shared:

At Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) Left a thought...

I am glad that you have relatives close by to help you out. I know that the girls enjoy being spoiled by Grandma. Best wishes for the hospital stay and we will continue to pray for complete healing and comfort for all of you. God bless!

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I stumbled across this on another blog and thought of you guys ...

The Chosen Mothers

Most women become a mother by accident, some by choice, a few by habit.

Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with cancer are chosen?

Somehow, I visualize God hovering over the earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As He observes, He instructs His angels to make notes in a giant ledger . . .

"Armstrong, Beth, son, patron saint Matthew."

"Forest, Marjorie, daughter, patron saint Cecilia."

"Rutledge, Carrie, twins, patron saint Gerard. He's used to profanity."

Finally, he passes a name to an angel and says, "Give her a child with cancer."

The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."

"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a child with cancer a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

"But does she have patience?" asks the angel.

"I don't want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she will handle it."

"I watched her today," said God. "She has that feeling of self-independence that is so rare and necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her has its own world. She has to make it live in her world and that's not going to be easy."

"But Lord, I don?t think she even believes in you," said the angel.

"No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"

God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take anything her child does for granted. She will never consider a step ordinary."

"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see . . . ignorance, cruelty, prejudice . . . and allow her to rise above them."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid-air.

God smiles and says, "A mirror will suffice."

Author: Erma Bombeck (May 1980). (Although it was written as mothers of "handicapped" children.)

I pray you have more "normal" days and that everyone and anyone who reads your words and visits your family knows how blessed they are ..
hugs,
always,
Molly

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

me again ..

When I said "how blessed they are" in my previous post I meant how blessed they are to know Rebekah and your family because I feel blessed even though I don't know you personally. Through your blog I am humbled and appreciative and when I visit and read about your days I am filled with love for my kids and family and I want to be strong and to love and be supportive like you, your family, and your friends are.
Rebekah darling, you and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs,
again,
Molly

 
At Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Lot's probably going thru your minds as you ready for the closing of this phase of treatement. I hope this week goes quickly and smoothly as a hospital stay can be smooth. Always thinking of you all.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...