Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, November 02, 2005



Wednesday Evening

Sarah, Debbie and Kelsey came by and brought Mom and Dad some dinner (which was yummy). Rebekah wanted to go for a ride in the wagon with her sister. Sarah sat with her for quite a while, but did get rather squirmy.

Janine from Physical Therapy wanted to know if she could work with Rebekah. I suggested that she see if Rebekah wanted to pull Sarah around in the wagon which would allow her to spend time with her sister and get some Physical work. That lasted for a little while and Sarah got too wiggly. Janine continued to work with Rebekah, walking around, pulling the wagon or pushing the wagon all the while walking with Sarah, Kelsey, Debbie and Mommy close by and Daddy popping in now and then.

About the time we were heading back to the room because Rebekah was getting pretty worn out, the Art Therapist came looking for her. We headed right back to the room and took a few minutes to get situated and then she got to do some art. Rebekah decided that her artwork this time was for her sister, so Sarah took it back to Debbie's with her.

By the end of Art time, Rebekah was getting pretty tired and acting up. She was not listening to the Art Therapist or Mom or Dad and putting things into her mouth like markers without the cap (now she had a blue tongue). Daddy explained to her that she lost the markers because she was not obeying and he took them away from her. The Art Therapist was seeing that it was about time to go, as Rebekah wasn't being cooperative.

Sometimes I think that Rebekah figures she can get away with anything while she's in the hospital (and most of the time at home) just because she doesn't feel well. Not at all the case. She may get a little leeway, but she still needs to listen and obey. In many ways, we know that she needs the discipline - it is afterall a form of love - and she needs to know where the boundaries are.

That started the crabbies for the evening. She complained that she had owies in her mouth. It hadn't been long enough since she had benadryl or tylenol, so she couldn't have those but we were able to give her some morphine - hoping it would help with the owies and maybe put her to sleep. It seemed to do both. She slept for a short while and then woke up very agitated. I asked for some ativan for her to help calm her down. She really wanted it in her mouth, but since it is a pill that is disolved in water and wouldn't taste very well, we put it into her gtube which she fought - kicking her feet and hitting with her hands. Not a very pretty sight.

Then a little later, she was coughing and then throwing up. Uugh! Since she hadn't been having vomiting sessions, Mom didn't have all the supplies ready and had to call for the nurse to help. Nurse Betsy and Nurse Heather came in to help. It wasn't too bad as the only things that needed changed were Rebekah's clothes, the pad on the bed and one pillow case. It could have been much worse, but it still wasn't any fun and it is not good to see a kiddo not feeling well.

A little while later, she was coughing and throwing up again. This time it did not appear that there was much of anything left in her stomach. Because she had been throwing up, she needed to get "Replacement Fluids" - IV Fluids in the volume that was estimated to have been lost. I always find it humorous - if she doesn't take enough in to meet her RDA then nothing is done, but if she takes something in and it doesn't stay down (or maybe I should say in - since it never really went "down" in the first place) then it has to be "replaced". Go figure.

With the volume of fluids that she is getting (IV fluids and GTube nutrition), she is looking a little puffy.

She is such a tired little girl, but she is fighting sleep once again. At this point, today, I'm thinking that there were perhaps a few too many activities and a little too much excitement for the day. She is overly tired and fighting against sleep. Mom let her play quietly in her bed for a while, until she really started to be getting upset unnecessarily. That is when it came to an end.

Now, she is laying in bed screaming. It would appear that she will need to scream herself to sleep tonight. She did just get some morphine to help with the pain and hopefully help with sleep. The benadryl and tylenol she got a couple hours ago didn't seem to put her to sleep. We shall see. She is telling Mommy that Mommy needs to go nightnight "on a pillow", too.

As frustrating as it can be to see her "acting out", there is a blessing in it - she feels up to "acting out" and that can be typical 3 year old behavior. Like I have said before, we have to find some good in each day - it may be a smile, acting out, an act of love or a poopy diaper when there haven't been any for a while. There are always blessings, sometimes they just take quite a bit to see. I thank God for each little blessing.

Several people have asked me today how I'm doing. My answer has been "I'm hanging in there. I'm tired, achy, crabby and we're in the hospital." Nonetheless, God is Good and I haven't lost too much sanity today, yet... Rebekah is still awake and there are almost two more hours in this day. Who knows how they will go.

8 Shared:

At Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:05:00 AM, Blogger Alison Left a thought...

I'm glad the first part of the day went well. Sorry to hear that she is having a hard go right now. Hopefully you can get some good rest when she settles.....

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:24:00 AM, Blogger Jenny Left a thought...

Praise God for blessings of a little girl who feels "well enough" to act out.

It's good to be able to catch up again here after several days without internet and then having surgery of my own on Monday.

The whole time I was in the Hospital, I kept thinking of your family and sweet Rebekah and how my little gall bladder surgery is so puny in comparison to all she's had to deal with in her 3 years.

You are all in my prayers constantly for healing, hope, rest, joy and financial help.

**hugs** for Rebekah and your whole family.

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Halfway through this round and looking to go home! Praying for nothing eventful to prevent that success. I am so sorry for all the tiredness and struggles. I ask God to continue to pour out His strength and patience for Mommy and Daddy.His hedge of protection around you all and awesome blessings on your family today.

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:34:00 PM, Blogger Queen on the run Left a thought...

I'm with you on not letting her get away with stuff. She needs to know boundaries and giving her boundaries gives her sense of normalcy.

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Deb Left a thought...

Let me tell you how typical "acting up" can be....Olivia, after FOUR times getting out of bed tonight, laid there screaming for 45 minutes before she finally wore herself out and went to sleep. It was everything from "I'm thirsty to "I need a tissue" (because she was crying!) to "please cover me up" to "I need to watch Barney". ARGH.

The next time Olivia acts up --I'll remember to pray that Rebekah continues to have those "normal" 3-year old responses! Turning our agony into something constructive - praying for you! ;)

Seriously - we do continue to pray always for you guys!

In our hearts forever,
Deb, Randy and (screaming) Olivia

 
At Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

My name is Craig Hannah and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ativan.

I have taken for 6 years. I am 37 years old. GREAT FOR INSOMNIA......Great for Manic stages of Bi-Polar..It's really is the only drug I can take without any side effects..I cannot even take asprin without feeling it..I have OCD and have severe sensitivity to meds, this one is great.

Side Effects :
None.....Miracle drug...onset of 20/30 minutes, peak of 1 to 3 hrs...it will erase your memory if u take it in large doses...made that mistake once..Been on and off of it since 2001. I don't get addictive to it. I only take .05 2 x a day for controlling High Blood Pressure, Anxiety and IBS..I sometimes can get away with breaking the 0.5mg down into 4 equal doses.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Craig Hannah

 
At Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:31:00 AM, Anonymous ativan Left a thought...

Ativan at 0.5mg works for me. No side effects. I just feel calm. My doctor gave me a prescription for 1mg but that causes a drowsiness, which finds me napping and losing part of the day. So I am not going to take that strength. He said I could take the 0.5mg 2 to 3 times a day if necessary. I find twice a day is working well.

 
At Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:09:00 AM, Anonymous buy ativan online Left a thought...

I love wednesday evenings...

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...