Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Monday, March 21, 2011

A Series of Lasts...continued...

Rebekah is continuing with her 5 year check ups. Today was hearing, tomorrow endocrinology.

When we went into treatment and developed a radiation/chemotherpay plan they had just about assured us Rebekah would be deaf in her left ear and very possibly in both. Todays testing revealed some drastically different results.

Her ear drum rebound test was a little bit dampened on the left side but her hearing tested within normal ranges almost everywhere. Her left ear had one frequency range (8300-10000hz) that she was just below normal limits but almost there. Over all her hearing is "Fine."

Daddy sat in the room with her, trying to be quiet and non-distracting while the ear plugs where in her ears and she was listening to the instructions from the audiologist. Daddy didn't hear them, but apparently they were something like "listen for the birdies and tell me when you hearing the birdies." All that daddy heard in this very quiet room was his little girl sitting in the middle in an adult chair like a big girl saying "I hear it." "I hear it." "I hear it." Each and every one of those "I hear it"s made daddy cry.

When done with the testing Rebekah went over to see the doctor. She sat perfectly still through both an intern and a medical student examining her and then the doctor himself. The doctor explained to daddy that there was a piece of wax stuck to her left ear drum that needs to come out either by softening with drops or by plucking it off now - but it might hurt if we try now. Knowing Rebekah's high tolerance for pain daddy suggested going after it now and he did with barely even a flinch from Rebekah. Guess we now have a reason that her left ear drum might not have been as responsive?!?!?

All in all Rebekah did SO good, making daddy so proud. And those little "I hear it"s will stick with him forever.

3 Shared:

At Monday, March 21, 2011 8:28:00 PM, Blogger Eva Left a thought...

That's wonderful! She's come so far. Thanks for letting us celebrate these little victories with you.

At Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Debbie Dunham Left a thought...


At Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:31:00 PM, Blogger Robyn Left a thought...

I love good news! That's so exciting!


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...