Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Final Friday Update

Mommy finally came back to the room. No ICU which is great. When she got here we had some scare in that she was not breathing very well. Her oxygen saturations were falling into the 70's which is WAY too low. In order to stay in the 90's she needs to have her breathing machine on with supplemental oxygen. This is close to what we were afraid would happen and would actually require her being intubated. But as long as we can maintain her saturations with the mask we are doing okay.

The big downside is that she cannot talk. She feels a bit like she is suffocating in the mask but some anti anxiety meds have taken care of that for now. We have taken the mask off for brief moments to try and let her communicate but she is just too weak to get words out. She is also still, daddy believes, a bit "loopy" and incoherent with some of her words.

She just now (4 hours or so back in the room) was asking daddy some logical questions. She is confused about her surroundings, some of the medical devices that are on her, etc. and was asking questions trying to figure them out. She also just now asked for pain meds for the first time since being out of surgery.

Daddy got a small break (a couple of hours) where he went out to the van to sleep. We have (had?) an air mattress that fills up the wheel chair van pretty good and daddy was going to try and get some sleep in the van. Problem 1 was that it was 95+ degrees outside today. Problem 2 was that the air mattress caught on something sharp and popped :( Daddy did get a few hours though while Grandma M stayed with mommy. Now it is a second full night up with mommy. Daddy is working on 2 hours sleep in the last two days.

THANK you Grandma and Grandpa for bringing in some snacks and Shawn for lunch and other goodies. At least there is something to eat in the room now.

2 Shared:

At Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:23:00 AM, Anonymous Leanne from Pa. Left a thought...

The sadness I feel for Francis and for you is overwhelming. Gods mercy on you both. I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings

At Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Avozinha Left a thought...

My prayers and thoughts are with you as you face such difficult days.


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...