Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Admitted to the Hospital

Rebekah woke up this morning about 7 and wouldn't go back to sleep. With all of us in the camping trailer, that meant we all had to be getting up. I tried hard not to get up even covering my face in the blankets, but that didn't work for long.

Our appointment was at 10, so we had a while to play and get breakfast (Mommy ate, Rebekah didn't) and get things into the van (to go into the room).

Once they drew blood and got Rebekah's vitals, they started fluids. With this set of chemo drugs, she needs 6 hours of fluids before they can start chemo (and her urine cannot be too concentrated) so the earlier we start fluids the earlier we can potentially start chemo. The earlier we start chemo, the earlier we can go home on Saturday. She has two hours of chemo each day and an additional 9 hours of a bladder protectant (it starts after the first hour of chemo and runs for 10 hours total). They generally try to start day two's chemo 2 hours earlier than day one's started and so on for the 5 days of chemo. Then we have to stay for 24 hours after day 5's chemo started. We started chemo today at 5pm. Tuesday could start at 3, Wednesday at 1, Thursday at 11am and Friday at 9am and we could go home Saturday morning. It won't happen that way, I'm sure, but it would be nice.

Rebekah's counts were really pretty good for her. Better than we've seen in a while. The last round of chemo, without the one drug, was much easier on her than other rounds have been.

We saw Gage and his parents while we were at clinic. They were just coming in as we were getting ready to be admitted. We chatted for a little bit and hoped that we might see them "in-patient", but Gage's counts weren't sufficient to start chemo so they will wait another week. They knew that there was a good possibility that they would need to wait, so it didn't really come as a surprise.

Rebekah has been on the go most of the day. After we checked into our room, we headed over to the cafeteria (where we met up with Daddy) and had some lunch. Rebekah really wouldn't touch anything. Then we headed back toward the room and Rebekah wanted to keep going, so we made some loops around the ward and then headed into the room for a little while. She fell asleep in her wagon and slept for about an hour. As she was snuggling into the wagon, I asked her if she wanted a blanket and she told me no. While she slept, I brought stuff up from the van (most of it anyway). She woke up really crabby. We got a fresh diaper and then headed out of the room some more.

She saw Melissa of Child Life who pulled her around in the wagon and took her into the classroom where she helped her to color (until she started being loud and disturbing the other students). She walked for a while with Janine (Physical Therapist) pulling a car on a string that made music and flashed lights when it rolls along. She drew some pictures with Kristina (Art Therapist) and played with some clay. Grandma C stopped by while we were at clinic and brought Rebekah a book and read it to her and played for a while. She wanted Daddy to read it to her later and Kristina too.

This evening, a group of volunteers came with games, toys and remote control cars. They brought some puppets for Rebekah to play with - all of which make noise. She had fun with them. Then she got to drive the car (she wasn't so thrilled about that), but she did like watching the cars go a little later.

Rebekah made a new friend - Stephanie. Stephanie had back surgery this morning and has to lie flat until tomorrow, so she couldn't go anywhere. Her mom was standing outside her room this evening and Rebekah waved to her and she waved back. We stopped by the door and Rebekah waved to Stephanie and then had to go in to visit with her. Rebekah really liked playing with Stephanie's balloon and her singing piggie and the "Get Well Soon" bear that has his arm in a sling. Stephanie seemed to enjoy the company, despite the age difference (Stephanie is a teenager). Rebekah was doing a lot of talking and making her desires known. She noted that Stephanie had a pole and her tubes were getting drinks. She wanted to hold Stephanie's hand. She was being the social butterfly.

This evening, as we were strolling around, she saw nurse Katie behind the nurses station and was calling her name. It wasn't perfect, but we could tell that she was saying "Katie Katie Katie Katie". It was neat to see her calling for Katie and saying her name without being prompted to say the name.

About 9:30 this evening, we came back to the room for bed. Rebekah brushed her teeth, we changed her into jammies and got a fresh clean diaper on and layed in bed. She really wasn't too interested in going to sleep, although she was pretty mellow. About 10:30, I turned the lights out and she seemed to fall asleep. Then, at about 11:30, she started coughing and screaming.

I shut her nutrition off, checked with Megan (her nurse) to get her some morphine and to see where her claritin was and tried to do what I could to calm her down so that she wouldn't start throwing up. It didn't work. She threw up all over the bed and she would not cooperate with me. She kept trying to lay down and I kept sitting her up. When she lays down, she often pukes straight up which makes a royal mess! Once things settled down, I got her cleaned up a bit and snuggled into my arms in the chair so that Megan could remake the bed.

She is back to sleep now and we just started her nutrition up again at a slower rate. She has been throwing up a fair amount while getting chemo (at least for the last several chemo's) and we go home with her throwing up. It will get better, it just takes time. It is tough to see her knocked down like this and not feeling well, but she does seem to bounce back from it.

13 Shared:

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

thank you for sharing,
still praying, and will be thinking of you all this week,

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:03:00 AM, Blogger JodiTucker Left a thought...

God must be granting you special grace daily, Frances, to deal with all the side effects (especailly the vomitting) from chemo. God bless all the Adams family!!.....and as always, praying!!

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:50:00 AM, Anonymous Teresa Left a thought...

Hope you can absorb some of the sunshine they are forcasting today and that Rebekah will have calm and peace throughout her body.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Dear dear Francis, What strength God is giving you. I admire you for the way you are coping with all that has and is going on. I'm continuing to pray for Rebekah, you and Scott and baby Sarah, that all this will be behind you soon and that the days ahead will be brighter and healthier. Leanne from Pa.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:49:00 AM, Blogger Precious Left a thought...

Lord Almighty, You are awesome. I thank you, Lord God, for the blessing of life and of love through Christ Jesus. I thank You for unity in the Holy Spirit with Your people, the church. Whatever is unlike you, oh Lord, purify me that I may do Your will and serve You in holiness.

In Your Name, I ask for deliverance. Your word tells us where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty. Show us the goodness of Your infinite glory, Lord. Rain down Your love in Rebekah's heart and over her family, dear Lord. You have called us to peace through Your blood. You have breathed new life through Your resurrection. I bless you, God, for Your perfect plan and what You have planned for this mighty family of Yours. When they grow tired, remind Your children that You never sleep and never grow weary, You are the Everlasting Source of renewal and life.

In the name of Jesus, I call forth spiritual and physical restoration in the time you have decreed. I ask an increase in strength and a radical turn around in health for this little girl. Lord, You are the God of all flesh, nothing is too difficult for you. The same Word that unfolded this vast universe saved each an everyone of us before formation in our mothers' wombs. By Your Word, set Your deliverance upon Your child. Blessings and honor to You, God. You are sovereign and Lover of our souls. Blessings and exaltation forever. Thank you, Jesus, for what you have already done. To God, all glory.


At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger My Kid's Mom Left a thought...

Your description of the chemo process brought back vivid memories of when my daughter went through all that. I can certainly empathize with how exhausting of a process it can be! But in your description of your daily activities, I was also struck with how much progress Rebekah is experiencing in her developmental areas! She seems to be making great strides! That has got to make you feel so joyful watching her develop skills, despite all the nasty side-effects of the chemo. God has great plans for your little Rebekah. I continue to keep all of you in my prayers!

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger Dawn Left a thought...

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated on you guys. Please know that not only is Rebekah in my prayers, but you guys too. You are truly an amazing family and I just pray that God will bless all of you.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:53:00 AM, Anonymous Toni Left a thought...

Frances and family,
I pray that God helps to ease Rebekah and help her to feel the peace of God. I pray she can settle and couperate with whom ever is trying to help her. I am sorry that I've not had the chance to set up a time to get together. Trying to figure out how to do so with having to rely on my Mother and her vehical has been a bit of a task. I will let you know when we are able to set something up. I pray it works out! I feel like I know you all so well through all the entrys that you present on your page.
Take care and I hope today goes well for you all!

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:12:00 PM, Blogger thequeen Left a thought...

I finally have a printer and so I am going to get some copies of your flyer and spread them around.
I hope to see more people visiting shortly. I am still working on that flkr badge. I don't know whats wrong with it. Still and always praying even and especially when I can't get here to tell you so. Much love to all of you. And lots and lots of positive healing energy.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:30:00 PM, Blogger thequeen Left a thought...

YAY I got it up and running again.
Someone upstairs was with me this time!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get the flyer to print......

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Lori Left a thought...

I have been checking in on Rebekah for a while now keeping updated on her daily journies. She is so amazing. I love how she wanted to go in and visit a teenager and hold her hand. That's so awesome, the brave little Rebekah reaching out her little hand to the teenager for comfort...that's so heartwarming!! Hope your hospital stay goes as planned so you can go home early Saturday morning.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:43:00 PM, Blogger Eva Left a thought...

Sure hope the throwing up will end after this last round of chemo. Poor little thing. Praying as always.

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:02:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

I am always in awe of the volume of the day to day events that your family goes through. Patience, perseverance, hope, and faith are more than just words in your lives. I continue to pray for daily blessings and strength and for the ultimate healing of this precious girl.


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...