Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We made it to Sunriver

Thanks, once again, to Mommy Debbie & Daddy Brian for letting us use their home for our little retreat! We made the trip over this afternoon/evening. We picked the girls up from school and headed out. We had to cross the mountain and there was a snow storm that blew through yesterday. We weren't sure how the roads were going to be and wanted to try to get over the pass before darkness fell. Here's a photo of the van with the trailer behind it.

It has been a "different" trip for us. We have made the trip several times before and always in the white (old) van. We had things figured out in the white van. The girls sat right behind us, so we could attend to their needs and desires. We could put a movie on for them in them and help get them situated, get them food, etc... In the wheelchair van, they sit way in the back and we can't reach them. So we had to rethink some things. We packed their lunch bags with food and they were in charge of their own. We packed backpacks with activities and again they were responsible. The problems came when they dropped something. But, Mommy has a reacher and we brought that in the van with us. Mommy was able to pick up quite a few things with it and stretch back far enough for the girls to grab the item.

Another "interesting" situation was our stop at the rest area. The rest area is at the top of the pass over the mountain. The parking lot was covered in snow. We needed to park close to the building to not get the wheelchair stuck in the snow and so the girls wouldn't fall. We parked in the handicap spot with the trailer hanging out behind us. Good thing we couldn't see the lines! And just how do you park in a handicap spot when you have a trailer behind you?

Once we made it to the house there was a lot of unloading and getting stuff upstairs. Including Mommy. Thankfully some friends of ours met us there and helped haul the stuff into the house and helped get Mommy up the stairs. Getting Mommy up the stairs wasn't easy. But we made it! And no one got hurt.

Now for the relaxing part. The girls are in bed, Daddy is reading a book and Mommy is typing up an update. We have some friends coming over tomorrow to stay with us for a few days. They have two kids and we all enjoy their company. We'll have some time with friends and with family and some time to just simply relax.

Mommy isn't able to use her motorized wheelchair in the house, so she has a manual one. It takes a lot more energy to move around in it and it isn't nearly as comfortable. It means that Mommy won't be able to do quite as much as she usually does. So Daddy and the girls will have to do more.

Please pray that we all stay safe and that we have some fun and memorable times and that Mommy doesn't have too many aches and pains. We have all been looking forward to this vacation for a little while.

On another note, we met with Rebekah's endocrinologist this week. She grew a "normal" amount over the last three months. She stayed right on the 10th percentile. If she stays on the 10th percentile we could expect that she would be about 5 foot 1 inch as an adult. While we might have liked to see "catch-up" growth (greater than "normal" growth), we'll take "normal" growth. She'll remain on the same dose of growth hormones and we'll check her growth in another 3 months and then do bloodwork in 6 months (along with her cancer scans). Her thyroid levels looked good, so we'll keep that dose the same as well. Her Stress hormone looked good as well, so no concerns there for the time being. All in all, not a bad visit. Keep doing what we're doing!

3 Shared:

At Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:23:00 AM, Anonymous Leanne from Pa Left a thought...

So glad to hear that Rebekah's results are good, that you made it safely to your destination, and that you have friends there to help out when you need them. Enjoy every moment and return home rested. God Bless you.

At Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:53:00 AM, Blogger Robyn Left a thought...

If Rebekah makes it to 5'1" she'll have outgrown me. It's not such a bad height!

I'm glad your family made it over. Enjoy your time together as a family and with friends!

At Friday, March 12, 2010 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Dean Left a thought...

Glad you got to get away on your Sunriver trip....I still pray for you all every morning that God would continue to give you strength,courage and hope. My Jeffrey would have been 16 on march 3rd. He probably would have been just like me, down at the DMV testing for his drivers license, but I know he's up to much greater things with the Lord in Heaven...
Cheryl and the girls are all fine, gearing up for Rodeo season.
God bless you all.


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...