Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

What a Day!

This morning, Mommy, Sarah and Rebekah headed into town for Rebekah's Physical Therapy. During her PT, she wanted some Mommy loves which really isn't all that unusual. When it was time to leave, I asked "who wants to go to school" and both girls started running toward the door.

After that, we ran a couple of errands (gas and a car wash) and headed to school. We were a little early, so we sat in the car for a few minutes. Rebekah rested in the car, but I didn't think too much of it. PT can wear her out a bit and both girls will often nod off a bit in the car.

I dropped Rebekah at school and headed for home. While I drove, I called to see how McKenna and her family were doing. Daddy was trying to call me. After a few of his calls, I cut the conversation short and got back to Daddy. The school had called and we needed to pick Rebekah up. She walked into class and layed down on the floor and didn't want to do anything. They checked her temperature and it was 104.1. A few minutes later, it was 103.9.

With as sudden as the change was and how high the temperature was, both Daddy and I were worried about her. As I drove back to school, I called her pediatrician's office to see if I should bring her right in or head to the ER. After several minutes, I finally got an answer that I should get her, give her motrin or tylenol and if I felt it necessary I could bring her right in or I could wait a couple of hours and see how she is doing and bring her in later in the afternoon.

I chose to take her right in. Doc looked at her and said that she definitely had an ear infection. But an ear infection shouldn't cause a fever that high. Her lungs sounded clear and there were no other obvious issues. He suggested that we do some blood work to see what was there. I agreed. Meanwhile, he sent me away with a prescription for antibiotics, but asked that I wait to fill it until I heard back from him with the blood work results.

While we were at the doctor's office Sarah started getting really fussy. She wasn't feeling feverish, but she sure wanted Mommy's attention. I don't know if it was because Mommy was paying Rebekah attention or if she is starting to come down with something. Rebekah wasn't too happy about the blood draw (most of hers have not included pokes-at least not while she was awake), but she didn't do too bad with it. She fussed a little bit and tried to pull the band off her arm, but didn't really cry with it. She didn't want a bandaid, either. The entire time the nurses were in the room doing the blood draw Sarah was screaming for Mama. Mama needed to comfort Rebekah, so Sarah didn't get the attention she needed. As I walked out, I had two girls up in my arms. I guess I got my work out for the day - just an extra 70 pounds to carry around.

The blood work shows signs of an infection. Doc thinks that she probably has a bacterial infection as well as a viral infection. He debated a little on whether to fill the prescription (which won't help the viral infection, but would help the bacterial infection), but thought that it was probably a good idea. So she's on antibiotics once again. Meanwhile we should be keeping her away from school and laying low for a few days. I called and cancelled Speech Therapy for tomorrow, Occupational Therapy for tomorrow and Bus Service on Thursday as well as notified school that she won't be there for the rest of the week. School is off next week and the following week for spring break. We've got lots of appointments for next week and the following week, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to keep them all or not. We'll have to see how she's doing.

Througout the afternoon, Rebekah has been wanting to rest with playing a little here and a little there and not wanting to eat much and drinking just a little. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and she'll be back to normal quickly.

0 Shared:

Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...