Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What a Way to Start the Day

The girls woke up about 7:10 this morning - nothing unusual. We went into the bathroom to use the potty. Both girls got their jammies off - Sarah first and she climbed up on the potty. When Rebekah took her sleeper off, I heard a bit of a thud (more than the zipper hitting the floor and looked over to see her G-Tube laying on the floor.

I had no idea when the G-Tube came out - but it was sometime in the last 12 hours. After an hour or so, it starts to heal and we wouldn't be able to get it back in. So I wonder, will we be able to get it back in or has it been too long? I called Daddy for help. One on the potty, one who needs a tube put back in and only one Mommy - not to mention the fact that the lubricant we need to use to try to get it back in is in the car (so we always have it with us).

To make a long story short, it was too late. We weren't going to be able to get it back in. Over the last month, we really haven't been using it. We got approval for 4 juice boxes a day (which Rebekah will drink most days) and haven't needed the extra boost of the pediasure. We were looking at having it taken out within the next month or so, so we don't really need to have it put back it. We just need to know if there are any risks that we need to be concerned about. Does she need to be seen or can we go about life as normal and can she eat and drink, etc...

So we needed to put a call into the doc to find out what to do, but which doc do we call - Pediatrician, Oncologist, or Surgeon? None of their offices will be open, so we'll be relying on Answering service and the on-call doc. We opt for the Surgeon's office and waited for the return call. Meanwhile, no breakfast or drink or anything into her stomach - we needed to confirm with the doctor that it was ok. Eventually, we hear that we don't need to be worried - it may seep for a day or so, but she can go about life as normal. Whew!

We now have a little girl with no foreign objects in her body - no central line and no g-tube. What a change from a year ago! One more step toward life getting back to normal.

She has been gaining a little weight, eating a little more and doing a good job of drinking her 4 juice boxes a day and sometime even a little milk or some other drink. It has been good to see.

Rebekah is doing really well with the potty training. She's wearing underwear during the day and even wanted it for a couple of the nights. She's had a few accidents, but I suppose that is to be expected. I think Sarah could care less about potty training right now, although she is very clear that she wants pullups on and not diapers.

Sarah seems to be teething and turning into a monster at different times during the day. For the most part, some teething tablets seem to make a difference. Oh the joys of parenthood.

Please continue to pray for Gage and his family. They have completed another round of chemo and are waiting for his counts to rise and praying for remission so that they can move forward with the transplant.

Also, please pray for Rachel - she is a 6 year old girl that has been battling Ewing's Sarcoma for several years now. Her cancer is growing and they are having to make more tough decisions on treatment and the options are getting smaller and rougher.

8 Shared:

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:44:00 PM, Blogger My Kid's Mom Left a thought...

How did Rebekah react to it falling out?

It's so good to read about her progress!

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:40:00 PM, Blogger Rebekah Christine Left a thought...

Good Question, My Kid's Mom. It really wasn't a big deal. I think she said "uh-oh" and covered her mouth and then giggled. Then throughout the day, she showed her tummy to everyone and said "all done".

At Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:32:00 PM, Blogger Mike&Mari Left a thought...

I can just picture her giggling over this, and being overjoyed enough to show everyone that she was "all done" with it. God is so good, what a sweet, and gentle heart dear Rebekah has. Amen!

At Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:04:00 PM, Anonymous Debbie Left a thought...

Yeah! No more tubes!

At Friday, January 12, 2007 11:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Those tubes are a hoot. but my first experience with it was not so good. My husband who is a nurse was at work and our little boy popped his out while playing. I grabbed him up and called my husband. Of course I was scared. Honey heard it in my voice and hurried home...too fast...and got a ticket for speeding. What an experience. I learned real fast how to put them back in...we can not afford any more tickets ;)
How wonderful that Rebekah has such a wonderful attitude about hers being all done!!!

At Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger annb Left a thought...

I just found your site through "I am my kid's mom" and have added Rebekah and your family to my prayer list.

At Monday, January 15, 2007 2:44:00 PM, Blogger Queen on the run Left a thought...

God has a way of making this happen at the right time!!!!!!

So good to see that she is doing so much better !
Onward and forward!!!

Prayers always!

At Friday, January 19, 2007 12:59:00 PM, Blogger annie Left a thought...

We had a similar experience to that with our little Izzy. She had a g-tube for a while after her near drowning accident and I woke up to find it had been pulled out. We also didn't know how long it had been out, but her dad got it back in. Very stressful. We later went to the surgeon for removal and found out it was a matter of just taking it out and putting on a bandaid.
It's those kinds of experiences that keep us mom's on our toes...:)


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...