Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, May 31, 2006



A Memorial Service and Some Thoughts

I went to a memorial service last Saturday. No, it wasn’t another of our kiddo friends with cancer; in fact it wasn’t even for someone I knew. It was for the wife of a friend and colleague of mine.

It was a beautiful service. It wasn’t like so many that I have been to that make a saint out of an ordinary person, ignoring all of their fault and fantasizing about who they really were. This was an open, honest sharing time. It was different and it was refreshing. Through the service I came to know this lovely lady in a very small way. I learned that she was a very remarkable woman. And what I learned most of all was that I missed out by not knowing her.

Her husband, a long time and well respected community member spoke a lot about their family and reminded everyone in the overflowing church that you never know when will be your last moment. He admonished everyone to not loose even one single opportunity to say “I Love You,” to get that kiss goodbye, or to let a cherishable moment slip by with the thought/hope/expectation that you are too busy now and will make up for it later.

Many of you may be wondering why I am putting this here on Rebekah’s blog? Well, in many ways it is because the shared sentiment above is exactly what we have learned and have been trying to request of you all through Rebekah’s trials and treatments. The other reason is that I want to share with you how Rebekah’s experience has changed me. Death, loss, funerals, memorial services etc. never used to bother me; I was emotionally cold and stoic to them only to deal with the sorrow and emotions in other ways at other times. But not now. I bawled like a little baby experiencing pain for the first time during this service. My eyes cried, my heart cried and my whole body cried. I came out of this service emotionally drained and renewed – in a good way. And all of this for the wife of a good friend; but still someone I didn’t even know. Yes, life’s experiences DO change us.

Please, love your family (especially your little ones) like there is no tomorrow because all too often there won’t be. And, let yourself be changed.

4 Shared:

At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:29:00 PM, Blogger JodiTucker Left a thought...

Amen!......and love your mid-size and big/grown kids, too. They need it just as much. Life is fragile and precious.

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Lora Left a thought...

Thanks for the kind reminder to never take anyone for granted especially our little ones. I make sure that I tell Griffin that I love him and give him kisses many times in a day but sometimes a reminder is what I need because I get caught up in other activities and forget sometimes.
~ Hugs, Smiles, and lots of love~

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Your honesty is refreshing. So many times we just do not get it. Thank you for these thoughts and all the ones before and the ones to come!

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:37:00 PM, Blogger Valerie Left a thought...

This post really touched my heart. I always thought I had to be "strong" - but now I know better. Thanks for the reminder to live in the present.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...