Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Rough Night and Rough Morning

As I went to bed last night, my throat was hurting much more than it had been. I just hoped a good night's sleep would help it. At 11:30 pm, Sarah started fussing. I checked on her, zipped her jammies back up, got her a binky (actually 2 binkies), turned her music back on and covered her up with the blanket. She seemed to settle down. Over the next 3 hours, she continued to fuss periodically and was given decongestant, tylenol, teething tablets and gas drops all to try and help. Finally, about 2:30 am, I put some bedtime lotion on her hands and face and she seemed to settle down for the night. Ok, so that meant I could get 4 or 4 and a half hours of sleep.

Then again, maybe not... Rebekah woke up about 4:45 rather upset. She wanted her tummy drinks stopped, a new diaper and just to scream... I gave her some tylenol and spent the next hour and a half changing her diaper a few more times, getting her cold water and trying to get her back to sleep. By then Sarah was starting to make noise again, so I got her binkies back and layed her back down. It didn't last long and she was fussing again and it didn't sound like she would go back to sleep on her own. I went in to check on her and she was telling me she needed a diaper change, so I figured I would change the diaper and then lay her back down. No such luck, she wanted to eat. By now, it was 7 am and her normal waking hour, so time to get up.

After breakfast, I layed her back down (Mom can always hope, right?). She was making noises now and then, but not screaming. Rebekah woke up, Daddy got her up and she wanted to check on Sarah. Sarah only had one of the two binkies, so Rebekah got her the second one and then Rebekah came and crawled into bed with Mommy and Daddy. She doesn't lay still for long and she wanted up and wanted her tummy drinks, so we headed out to the living room to get her hooked up and watch some TV. Sarah wasn't happy, so I got her up and into the playroom. By then Rebekah was ready to be done with her tummy drinks, so we stopped them and sent her into the playroom. By now, both girls are screaming. It is clear that they are not feeling well. I'm not exactly sure what each of them is fighting, but they are definitely not feeling well.

About 9:30, Rebekah wants to lay down on the couch with a blanket, so I help her with that. Then Sarah tells me she wants to go night night, so I take her into her room and lay her down. Rebekah is feeling pretty warm, so I get the thermometer - 100.6. By the time I get her some Tylenol and some Benadryl (to help with the runny nose and the crabbies), she feels even warmer, so I check it again 101.4. I give her the Tylenol and Benadryl (which she wants in her tubes and not in her mouth, which is unusual) and then she proceeds to throw them up. Ugh! I get my shirt changed and her clothes off and she refuses to have any more clothes put on. She is sitting in her bed shivering and won't let me put any clothes on... I finally talk her into a shirt and then she wants a blanket on her lap and one over her shoulders. I check her temperature again and it is 101.7.

So I figure it is time to call the doctor. I call the answering service and have the oncologist on call paged. I don't really know that the oncologist will be overly concerned, since she no longer has her central line (and the big risk for infection), but figure I'll start there. She calls me back and explains that her biggest concerns would be ear infection or sinusitis and that we might want to have her seen, but she didn't think it warranted an ER trip (at least not yet). If her temperature got above 102 or 103, she wanted another call. Otherwise we could treat her like a typical pediatric cold patient - she could have tylenol, motrin, cold medicine, etc... And if we need to, we can use suppositories for nausea or for fever. It might make some sense to call her pediatrician's office and see if they can look at her ears.

So I called the pediatrician's office and we have an appointment scheduled for 4 this afternoon. They were being slammed with patients and that was the earliest appointment they had available. I was able to get Rebekah to rest for a little while and afterwards, I was able to get some Tylenol, Septra (her antibiotic) and Benadryl into her.

Now, Rebekah is laying on the couch in the playroom and Sarah is playing. They seem to be leaving each other alone right now, which is good. Sarah, however, took her jammies off (but kept the diaper on), so I got her dressed for the day.

Grandma M will come over in a little while with some lunch and help with the girls. Maybe I can get a little rest and a nice long shower to help me feel better...

Now we are back to two girls screaming and unhappy. Ugh! Mommy just doesn't have much patience for that today, but I guess I have to buck up and deal (just like any other day).

10 Shared:

At Saturday, March 18, 2006 2:14:00 PM, Blogger Kat Left a thought...

I found your blog from a link that shaun groves posted awhile back. Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

I'll be praying for you today.

I had "one of those days" yesterday and you might get a laugh out of my blog entry.


At Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:46:00 PM, Blogger MAK Left a thought...

So sorry everyone is sick, sure hope it is nothing too serious. Seems this has been the worst illness season for everyone. Check out Kat's blog (she refers to it in the comment above mine) it is pretty funny and something all of us Moms(as well as Dads) can relate to. Hang in there!

At Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:30:00 AM, Blogger Jayleigh Left a thought...

Isn't it nuts how everything goes back to "normal" after so short a time?

Bless your heart, dear lady, for being so committed to your family.


At Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Cee Left a thought...

Ugh! I hate nights like those. I hope all is well with Rebekah! And I hope you feel better too!!

I also read your post about Rebekah becoming a sparrow. That is just so cool. It warmed my heart to see those high school kids with her.

At Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Hi Family! Hope you all got some rest last night and are doing better this morning. It is so true that Mommie's cannot take a day off. I am so glad that you have a Granny or 2 to help! Praying for all of you in Tennessee and Georgia!

At Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Everything's gonna be oK
the Lord is peace & you'll have it
praying 4 all of u

sonora mexico

At Monday, March 20, 2006 3:00:00 AM, Blogger Danny Sims Left a thought...

Peace to you today.

At Monday, March 20, 2006 8:23:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Left a thought...

I hope tonight is a little more peacefull.

At Monday, March 20, 2006 9:21:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H Left a thought...

You mean, you expected to get some REST for the first 16 years of their lives?

Just kidding. Hope you do, in fact, get some much needed rest. Soon.

At Monday, March 20, 2006 8:16:00 PM, Blogger Spunky Left a thought...

Stumbled upon your blog today. I pray for patience as you deal with all of this. God is our healer and provider. You are loved and prayed for by many. I will come back and check back as well. Thanks for sharing your journey with the us. Your commitment to your family is an inspiration.


Post a Comment

Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...