Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Wednesday, March 22, 2006



Antibiotics, Lots of Comments

We all seem to be doing a bit better. Both girls actually slept pretty much through the night last night. I put them to bed about 7:30 (a half hour later than normal) and they both went out. Typically, Rebekah plays the "I need a change", "I want a drink of water", "I want some owie medicine", etc... game. Not last night, though. I kept waiting for one or the other of them to need attention, but it didn't happen. Before I went to bed, I added more Pediasure to Rebekah's pump bag and then again at about 4 am. She actually got her 5 cans yesterday (and overnight) without throwing up. Hooray! She didn't even stir when I added more Pediasure. She must have been a tired girl.

Sarah woke up about 5:30 and fussed. I waited to see if she would put herself back to sleep and she did, so I didn't even have to go in and help her. I had a hard time sleeping, but that happens.

Monday night, I was a little concerned about how Rebekah's G-Tube site looked. It had changed and I wasn't sure if I was seeing infection or something else, but thought I should keep a close eye on it. Tuesday morning, when I looked at it again, it was looking infected, so I called the Oncology clinic (as soon as they opened) to see if they wanted to look at it or have her PCP look at it. I left a message for the nurse, she called back and left a message for me, I called back and finally got to talk to her. She was going to check with the doctor and see what she thought and get back to me. Finally, about 1:30 the nurse called back and suggested that we come in about 3:30. Since it didn't seem to be a critical/time sensitive matter, I didn't worry too much about the time delays. Critical calls need to come first.

We met the new doctor and she seems to be great. She agreed that it looked infected, so she gave me a prescription for nystatin ointment to put on the area 3 times a day and a different antibiotic that will tackle "skin" infections. So we stopped the Amoxicillin and started the new one. Then when the new one is done (10 days), we may finish the Amoxicillin. All the fun and games... Meanwhile, we wonder if the antibiotics are going to cause diarrhea and if we will have that "joy" to deal with, too.

I have to tell you all a funny story. This morning at breakfast, Sarah was sitting in her high chair and threw her sippy cup on the floor. I picked it up and gave it back to her. She threw it on the floor and started saying and signing "no no no no". We have been telling her for a long time, not to throw her cup on the floor and Rebekah will say and sign "no no no no" to her when she does it.

Rebekah is so finicky about how things are - an open door has to be closed, things have to be done in certain orders and the night time routine has to be consistent and complete. If Mommy starts to leave and we haven't said prayers, she makes sure that we do. Last night, she wanted "more" prayers, so we prayed that she would fall asleep quickly and have a good rest. She did fall asleep quickly and seemed to have a good rest. Some times, I think she is smarter than we give her credit. What a blessing!

It was great to see so many comments this morning and throughout the day. Last night, I was kind of down not wanting to post because I didn't know if anyone even cared and I've been so drained from being sick and caring for sick kids. So to see so many comments and lots of new visitors, brightened my day. Thank you! Please come back and visit and comment again. Some days, that is the only way I feel cared about.

8 Shared:

At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:50:00 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience Left a thought...

"For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; They will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." Ps. 91:11-12

You were prayed for today.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I think about you guys and pray for you daily. You are loved by many!!! Caron

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Corry Left a thought...

I think Caron is right, you are loved by many and I have no doubt, prayed for as well, I know I do:-)
May God continue to bless y'all.

God's Grace.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:52:00 PM, Blogger jel Left a thought...

we thank about you every day!
and say a pray for you and you family !

Know you are loved! :)

huggggggs

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:13:00 PM, Blogger Valerie Left a thought...

I may not comment every time I visit, but I certainly keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers everyday!!! God's blessing to each of you!

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:13:00 PM, Blogger Randi Left a thought...

(((HUGS))) for you! You have your hands full right now. I will be praying for you and for your children and I will be back to check up on you too!

 
At Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

You are all on our minds daily! Every morning I sit down at my computer with my cup of coffee to go through my e-mails then I give myself the pleasure of checking on your blog. There were times when it was painful to check because of all that was happening, but now it is truly a pleasure to hear how much more normal (within context) your life is. We miss Sarah, though. Take care and know that we're all still "out here".

 
At Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:42:00 AM, Blogger Katie Left a thought...

I tend to forget that you can't hear my prayers, nor can you know how often your family comes to mind throughout the day. But I pray that you can feel that MANY are thinking and praying for your sweet family.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...