Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Sunday, June 05, 2005



Dad's Perspective

I don’t know what it was about coming back to the hospital today. Frances had brought Rebekah back for checkups every few days for the last week and I did not make any of those. I have not been here since we left after the last chemo. Today was tough.

There was not a place I could go, a table full of information that I read, or anyone that I talked to that did not bring a feeling of doom and gloom in my heart and a tear to my eye. When people would ask about Rebekah I couldn’t get out even the short version of “her story” without breaking down. One of the tables had buttons for the survivors with a blank to write down how long they had been a survivor. When writing out “2 months” on Rebekah’s I was totally in tears. One of the tables was taking Polaroid pictures in front of a nice backdrop; we got one each of mom and Rebekah and me and Rebekah. Just looking at either of them brought me to tears. Even helping Rebekah go through the huge basket of toys and games brought tears to my eyes – but at least these were tears of joy in the delight I was seeing in her.

While Frances took care of Sarah, I spent most of the time at the Survivor’s Fair letting Rebekah run, play and go wherever she wanted and do whatever she wanted (within reason). She sure knows the hospital really well now – far better than she knows our own property at home. At one point in time she got into the elevator and pushed a button to another floor – I thought it was going to close before I could get there and then wouldn’t that be fun trying to find her on one of 4 floors?!?!?!? I am glad, at least, that she is comfortable at the hospital and it doesn’t bother her just to be there.

In addition to the prayers for Rebekah this week, please keep Frances and I uplifted. I have the feeling this is going to be a difficult week for both of us.

1 Shared:

At Monday, June 06, 2005 7:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Rebekah, Sarah, Frances and Scott,
We have been lifting you up in prayer throughout the weekend and all of today! We pray for restful sleep and peace in knowing that family will be there tomorrow to help. We'll call you in the morning to see when you need a visit from the Schwander family!
We love you lots,
Tiff, Mark, Jacob and Michael

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...