Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Tuesday, April 03, 2007



A well intentioned question...

Multiple times over the last week we have had people ask: "Did he get to the scissors and cut his own hair?" The tone of our answer usually changes depending on how many times it has been that day that we have heard the question, but we usually at least try to be polite when we say 'No, she is suffering the effects of chemo therapy and we are doing the best we can to help her outer beauty match her inner beauty.'

You can totally understand people asking, but it is somewhat humorous to see them try and back peddle when they learn the truth. It all goes to show you, perspective. Just when you think you "understand" about someone else's life by looking at it from the outside you learn that you many not have a clue.

Mommy just pointed this out: http://www.chemochicks.com/excuse_me.htm
for more "stupid" cancer related quotes.

4 Shared:

At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:21:00 AM, Blogger Valerie Left a thought...

Oh yes, I remember those questions all too well when my daughter, Sara, was going through her treatments. We also get them when we are together as a family, because both girls don't look like neither my husband nor myself (especially Danielle, who is biracial). After awhile, I got tired of saying that they were adopted, and just said "yes, they are both my daughters" - and just let people figure it out on their own! We don't owe any explanations to anyone, is my final conclusion!

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

I have been there. When I was bald, ladies would look sideways at me wondering if they were in the men's room...

Actually, Rebekah's hair loss now would be from the radiation. The chemo hair has grown back. I had radiation to the neck and chest, so the hair on the back of my neck is gone. I'm able to do a comb-over on it. I still only have fuzz there and it's been 2.5 years. The positive spin is that you are getting these comments because you are out in the world doing 'normal' things. [as normal as possible!] In the hospital setting, no one would make comments like that because everyone understands. Praise God for 'normal' problems!

Continuing to pray in NC.

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:20:00 AM, Blogger Rebekah Christine Left a thought...

Char is of course right about the hair loss now being radiation damage and not chemo damage. But most people don't understand the difference!

-Scott (Rebekah's Daddy)

 
At Friday, April 13, 2007 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht Left a thought...

I'm reminded of sitting in an ice cream parlor about two years ago with my kids--my son being only three at the time.

A boy with a very disfigured face walked into the restaurant and some little boy hollered out, "Look at his face!" Immediately, the whole restaurant, trying to ease the tension, pointed over to my kid with the ice cream filled chin and started making remarks at how cute he was. Wow, that was awkward.

Rebekah is looking adorable--especially the two of them in the Easter photos. Sarah looks so much like Rebekah at that age. At first I thought she was Rebekah and that Rebekah was Sarah, until I saw that her hair was shorter.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...