Visit Rebekah's Page to get updates, read messages and send messages to Rebekah and her family through comments. This is a public "diary" of a family whose little girl started a battle with inoperable cancer in April 2005. In December 2007 our house burned down. And in September 2009 Mommy was diagnosed with a terminal disease (a genetic form of ALS) that took her to Heaven in July, 2011, leaving Daddy and two young girls to make it on their own. Over several years of ups and downs, you will get into our hearts, minds and souls as we share joys and sorrows. It can sometimes be very difficult to read. We hope it is also uplifting. Please find joy in what you read here.
____________________________________

Saturday, July 23, 2005



Cancer, ALS and a Lot of Emotions

I wrote this about a month ago, but didn't post it right away. I guess now is as good a time as any to post it. By the way, I was able to get to see my aunt this week. I took Sarah with me while Grandma M watched Rebekah.

I'll warn you up front that this post may make you cry. It is tough for me (Frances) to write, but it is on my heart. Read on at your own risk.

The last time we were in the hospital for chemo, I went out to the nurses station to ask a non-urgent question. There was a nurse there (from a different area) that was chatting with a couple of nurses on the floor. She was talking about someone she knew (I assume a good friend or relative) who was recently diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease). This individual had said that he wished he'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor instead, because at least with a brain tumor there is treatment and the hope for cure. With ALS, there is no cure. This hit WAY TOO CLOSE to home for me. Cancer, with the possibility of treatment and cure, is much better than ALS, with no cure and only the ability to treat symptoms. This story brought tears to my eyes and many thoughts to my heart. We should be thankful for a cancer diagnosis with possibility for cure.

Those of you who know me (and my family) very well, know that ALS runs in my family. My dad died of it 6 years ago, my grandfather died of it, my great grandfather died of it and many other family members have died from it. Because of that, I have a 50% chance of getting it some day, if I live long enough. It can hit anywhere between age 30 and age 70. What you may not know, is that in May of this year my aunt was diagnosed with it, too. As if I (and my family) didn't have enough to deal with emotionally in Rebekah's cancer, this is one more burden for us to bear. She, likely, doesn't have too many months to live. I struggle with wanting to spend some time with my aunt, but not wanting to spend time away from my girls to do it (and can't really take Rebekah with me). It is one more big stressor in my life. In many ways, I have to push it out of my mind in order to just cope.

Tonight, I was watching an episode of Doc where a young dad was diagnosed with ALS. It just brings so many thoughts to my mind. Thoughts of my dad. Thoughts of my aunt. Thoughts of Rebekah's illness. Thoughts of the possibility of getting ALS myself and what that would mean to my family. Thoughts on the statement "I wish it was a brain tumor".

It reminds me that there are many people in the world in worse situations than I am in. Although my world seems like a wreck and so overturned and everything is overwhelming, I need to be reminded that we have hope. Our God is the ultimate Healer. He can do all things. He can bring Rebekah back to wholeness. Even if we wanted to only look at earthly wisdom, the doctors are hopeful that treatment will be successful.

3 Shared:

At Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a thought...

Wow. That is all I can say. I had no idea about the ALS being in your family. This is one more stress that just isn't fair to have to even think about. Thank you so much for sharing yet another intimate part of your life.

Tara Shannon

 
At Friday, March 10, 2017 10:00:00 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a thought...

Admin please help share my story! My wife was diagnosed with inoperatable Brain tumor in august of 2015 which was measuring about 12cm X 9cm X 9cm in her frontal lobe the tumor had probably been there for years and took up around 68% of her brain pushing through her sinus cavity as well. This was like a hell of a news for me because she just delivered our 7months old son and i was deeply terrified as to what her fate will be because the doctor said her case was very severe and she needed urgent attention because she had just about less than 6 months before the cancer take her away from me. To summarize it all i was able to get a permanent cure for her after all the several modern treatments and therapies and save her from the cold hands of death and cancer from Dr. Joseph who treats cancer with pure natural herbs and extracts with his herbal medicine called elixir. All my life i have never seen any usefulness of herbal medicine not up till this moment that it saved my wife. I had to wait two years to write this so i can be really convinced she is permanently cured, up till now she is still very much healthy. I am overly grateful. If you have brain tumor, brain cancer, and any other forms of brain diseases do not hesitate to contact Dr. Joseph on
Josephalberteo@gmail.com for more information about his medicine and possible solution. keep your hope alive.

 
At Friday, April 07, 2017 4:42:00 PM, Blogger Unknown Left a thought...

I am Karen Baird, I was diagnosed of ALS (Lou Gherigs Disease) in 2014, the doctor told me there is no permanent cure for the disease, i was given medication to slow down the progress of the disease, at the initial stage it was not so bad till it progressed to the end middle stage were i had difficulties going about my daily functions as i constantly felt weakness in my legs, ankles and feet, i was totally devastated till my daughter’s co-worker told us about a herbal doctor from west Africa who have herbal medicines for all kind of diseases including ALS, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me two bottles of ALS herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of the disease within 20-24 days of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor via his email at abumereherbalcentre @ gmail . com
www . abumereherbalcentre . simplesite . com

 

Post a Comment


Thank you from Rebekah...

Back to Rebekahs home page...